Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning All

I have recently purchased a Goodridge braided brake line for my 2014 ABS equipped CBR500R.

Before I fit it to the bike, has anyone else on here fitted these [or any other] braided lines and had any issues bleeding them? I have heard that it can be difficult with the ABS unit?

If anyone has any tips, or if this question has been asked before and I have missed this (I did use the search the function)] then I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have changed the brake lines on my NON-ABS CB500F....pretty straight forward.

For an ABS bike, it is quite different. The front brake line goes from the brake reservoir on the handlebar back along the frame to the ABS module.
Then a separate brake line goes form the ABS module forward to the front brake caliper.

From the diagram, it looks like there are threaded connections on the ends of of the rigid part of the brake line, where the braided lines could be connected.

As far as bleeding, you can try adding brake fluid to the reservoir, and bleed as on a non-abs bike. You won't get any fluid through the abs module, but should get some into the new brake lines.

On my ABS Triumph, the bike needed to connected to a computer to open the abs valves to completely bleed the lines.

Hope this helps a bit. Let us know how your project goes.

jb

Honda CB500 brake line.png

·
Super Moderator
711 Posts
No issues whatsoever, given that you're bleeding everything properly.
The ABS brick behaves just like a simple brake hose when not active so you don't need any special attention.

How I'd do it is to use a brake vacuum tool to remove all fluid from the system before the change, replace hoses, refill, bleed, and leave the system overnight with the brake lever pulled to let the rest of the bubbles escape.
In case you want to follow the orthodox method, look up the link to the factory service manual on this site and read instructions.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here are the front flexible brake lines.
How easy it will be depends on the connections between the flexible and rigid brake line.

Honda CB500 front brake lines.png

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No issues whatsoever, given that you're bleeding everything properly.
The ABS brick behaves just like a simple brake hose when not active so you don't need any special attention.

How I'd do it is to use a brake vacuum tool to remove all fluid from the system before the change, replace hoses, refill, bleed, and leave the system overnight with the brake lever pulled to let the rest of the bubbles escape.
In case you want to follow the orthodox method, look up the link to the factory service manual on this site and read instructions.
Hi Oyabun

Thank you very much for this. It was the ABS "brick" I was concerned about, so hearing that this bleeds just like a normal brake hose when not active is very reassuring.

The method you have outlined for bleeding is EXACTLY how I would typically bleed my brakes, so this is likely how I will do it here, but I will certainly search the forum to find the factory service manual to read up on the "orthodox" method.

Thanks again and safe riding

Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are the front flexible brake lines.
How easy it will be depends on the connections between the flexible and rigid brake line.

View attachment 72157
Hi JB

Thanks for taking the time to post this and your previous reply, as with Oyabun, I am most grateful.

I am aware on other machines the ABS unit is an issue, it certainly is on my friends BWW1150R where bleeding the brakes is almost impossible for the"home mechanic", most likely for the reason you outlined regards needing a computer to remotely open the ABS valve.

I can confirm the kit did indeed come with two hoses, both had one end with a banjo connector (to be connected to the reservoir of caliper) and one with a squarish thread connector block (to be attached to the ABS lines). They are differing lengths with the shorter hose between the reservoir and ABS unit.

I will take some photos as I go along and update this thread afterwards in case anyone else is interested and to let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the exploded diagram, a very useful reference point.

Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good Evening All

So, I thought I would update everyone, and, initially it is not good news!

Taking the old hoses off is a pretty straight forward process. I was able to do this quite easily with the disc side fairing off [left the tank in place]. It was a bit fiddly, but nothing a little time and patience couldn't overcome. However, once I had the OEM hoses off the bike, it became apparent there was a problem, well two actually:

Firstly, the shorter of the two hoses [which goes from the reservoir to the caliper] is far too long.

Secondly, the other hose [the longer hose which goes from the ABS unit to the caliper] is the right size, but is missing the bracket which attaches the connector block end of this hose securely to the frame of the bike.

I have taken this up with Demon Tweeks [the supplier] as well as the manufacturer [Goodridge] and await a response from both. It seems to me that Demon Tweeks could have sent the wrong [not the CBR500R 2014 ABS model] kit, which could explain the wrong hose length, although it does state CBR500R 13-15 ABS on the label on the side of the box, so it should fit!

However, when you look online at other manufacturers of braided hoses for this model, none appear to show the caliper to ABS unit hose bracket, and as you can see from the above exploded part of the Honda parts diagram, it is not a "separate" part, it is integrated into the OEM hose end.

It may be that I will need to make up a bracket, or there may be a possibility of carefully cutting the bracket off the OEM hose and affixing to the braided one. The bracket isn't vital, my understanding it is a fail safe to stop any possibility of the brake hose and pipe which goes to the ABS unit coming apart.

I will let you know how things develop, but in the meantime, if anyone has fitted braided hoses to this particular [ABS] model, I would like to know if you have encountered similar issues.

Scott

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am interested to upgrade to braided brake lines to my 2014 with ABS too. I could only find Spiegler here have options for ABS model. Lucky that I am doing more research before diving right in ordering. Hope you will hear some good news soon! At the meantime, I will spend more time to see if the Spiegler will encounter the same issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Morning All

So to update this thread, I returned the Goodridge brake lines and instead, went for a different manufacturer, HEL [https://www.helperformance.com/honda-cbr500r-abs-2013-2015-flexible-oem-replacement-braided-brake-lines]

These are quality brake lines and in fact, are fitted to the vast majority of British Super Bike machines.

Fitment was actually relatively straightforward.The only fiddly bit was attaching the ABS line on the bike to the connector blocks at the end of each of the brake lines. It is a simple insertion and tightening up of a nut, but I chose to do this with the tank left on. It can be done, but if I were to do it again, I would take the tank off as it would make things easier [more room to move and turn the spanner].

Another observation is that the new braided lines are much thinner [have a smaller diameter] than the OE rubber hoses, so the rubber grommets which go around the brakes lines and "fit" into the brake line holders/guides over the front mudguard and up near the head stock are are also a little thin, so they do occasionally work there way out. It is no big deal, but something to be aware of to ensure the lines don't rub against the holders/guides.

Good luck with the Spiegler ones, I am sure they will be fine. I am now convinced the Goodridge ones had been incorrectly packed at the factory. My advice would be to check the lengths of the hoses against the original ones and that the hoses have the correct ABS connector blocks attached, before fitment. If they do, then you are good to go!

Final note, bleeding the system. This was also much easier than I expected. I have read horror stories about bleeding ABS equipped bikes online, but mine was not like that. I bled the system as I would do normally, top off the reservoir with brand new brake fluid, then pump the lever a few times to build up some pressure, and whilst holding the lever against the handlebar crack open the bleed nipple [which is connected to some plastic pipe into an old jam jar], then close the bleed nipple, release the lever and repeat. Obviously I had to do this quite a few times but eventually what looked like all the air had been expelled, and only clean [bubble-less] fluid was coming out the bleed nipple. However, the lever was still very floppy. DON'T PANIC. I then returned the diaphragm and lid to the reservoir, then zip/cable tied the lever to the handlebar and left it over night [this allows any remaining trapped air in the system to work its way up and out]. In the morning, I released the zip/cable tie, pumped the lever two or three times and voila, a rock hard front brake! I had to top off the reservoir a small amount [showing that some air had indeed been trapped in the system], and was then good to ride.

Suffice to say the new braided lines are a VAST improvement and well worth the effort.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Scott, sorry for digging this old thread out but i wondered whether you have any pictures of the HEL hoses once fitted so I can get an idea of how they look on the bike? did the kit you bought from them have the correct length upper hose & the lower hose with a bracket attached unlike the Goodridge ones?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Scott, sorry for digging this old thread out but i wondered whether you have any pictures of the HEL hoses once fitted so I can get an idea of how they look on the bike? did the kit you bought from them have the correct length upper hose & the lower hose with a bracket attached unlike the Goodridge ones?
Morning confusion.fusion

I have tried my best to get some decent photos but the lighting isn't great in my garage. I can confirm that the HEL kit was bob on. The lengths of the hoses are correct [identical to the OEM ones] and although the connector block isn't the same as the OEM one, HEL are aware of this [see my screenshot from them below] and so they provide 12mm p clips to secure the ABS block using the original holes on the frame.

Overall I am very pleased with the product and the improvement within the brakes is really quite noticeable.

I hope this helps.

Scott

Brake Reservoir.jpg Routing.jpg Brake Caliper.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Scott, thank you for taking the time to take the pictures and send the additional information from HEL. the hoses look a good fit. i am very grateful. cheers confusion.fusion

1 - 12 of 12 Posts