Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit of an oddity in that I recently celebrated my 40th Birthday and realized that I have a bit of a Bucket List that I need to address. On top of that list, get my first motorcycle.

Over the past several months, I've researched just about every 'starter' bike you could imagine and have recently found the Honda CB500F. I toyed with the idea of getting a used Suzuki GS500 and that is still an option but the looks and price of the Honda have me very intrigued! 250's are also an option as is the Ninja 300 but honestly, I'm thinking that a 500cc should address the mid-life issue and be a good mini-tourer for years to come (I have 2 friends that are also taking up riding that have dreams of touring).

The other details are as follows - I took an Intro course last summer and plan on taking my licensing course in early spring. I should be ready to buy in early May if all goes well - which happens to coincide with the release of the new Honda's here in Canada.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome aboard. Funny you mentioned the Ninja 300. I noticed last winter after not paying attention to the motorcycle market for 24 years that there were very few street/road bikes between 250 & 600 cc. The 350 to 500cc bikes were very common and versatile back the. I see the Ninja got bumped up and now the Honda 500 is coming out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome aboard. Funny you mentioned the Ninja 300. I noticed last winter after not paying attention to the motorcycle market for 24 years that there were very few street/road bikes between 250 & 600 cc. The 350 to 500cc bikes were very common and versatile back the. I see the Ninja got bumped up and now the Honda 500 is coming out.
I started researching 'beginner' bikes around a year ago and all that was available were the Ninja and Honda 250's and some long in the tooth 500s from Kawi and Suzuki. Fast forward a year and we have a Ninja 300, the 3 new Honda 500's and some soon to enter the market bikes from KTM (Duke 390) and a Suzuki 250. Lots of choice and good competition - which is ideal for us consumers.

Definitely a fun time to start - or return - to the sport!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A CBR500 will be nice to have but I'm not sure if I'd recommend it as a first bike. I know a lot of guys recommend starting with a CBR250R or even the new Ninja 300, then moving up to a CBR500.

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
Its not bad to concider a 500cc for a first timer. As long as your mature on it. I remember people were recommending the suzuki katanas when they were still around as a beginner bike. It has enough power to keep you interested even after you get comfortable riding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts