Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

461 - 480 of 481 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
They have just quoted me 275 USD for the first service, no valve inspection required since it's a 2016. I find it a bit pricey.. worth it?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Change the oil & filter & save yourself some $$$. Then let them do the rest. Should cost $150-$180 for the rest it only takes them around 2 hours or less to do what's required.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
They have just quoted me 275 USD for the first service, no valve inspection required since it's a 2016. I find it a bit pricey.. worth it?
You can easily buy the service manual and the minimal tools needed for the 1st service for that price. The question is, do you want to maintain the bike yourself?

It doesn't get very time consuming until the valve clearance check (and spark plug replacement) at 16,000 miles. The hardest part is learning how the various fasteners and cable joins work, and having patience to do the job right the first time.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had mine done last Wednesday. $199.++ I think it is worth it.

The oil absolutely must be changed and the other fluids topped. They go over the whole bike .... No valve check now it would be way more economical if you could do it yourself. You are paying for labor. It would take me two or three times that in hours counting time learning what it involves and teaching myself anything I don't already know how to do. Plus figure in the time spent getting any too!s that are not already in your toolbox.

I find the ancillary work can be a real time burner. Time I would rather spend riding.

Btw: I wish service was included in the purchase like a warranty type of thing but I think motorcycle businesses have margins more akin to bicycle shops than automobile sales. All the profitability is in the service and I am happy they are there for the work when I don't want to do it or I need their expertise.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I had mine done last Wednesday. $199.++ I think it is worth it.

The oil absolutely must be changed and the other fluids topped. They go over the whole bike .... No valve check now it would be way more economical if you could do it yourself. You are paying for labor. It would take me two or three times that in hours counting time learning what it involves and teaching myself anything I don't already know how to do. Plus figure in the time spent getting any too!s that are not already in your toolbox.

I find the ancillary work can be a real time burner. Time I would rather spend riding.

Btw: I wish service was included in the purchase like a warranty type of thing but I think motorcycle businesses have margins more akin to bicycle shops than automobile sales. All the profitability is in the service and I am happy they are there for the work when I don't want to do it or I need their expertise.
People complain about the cost, but it cost a bunch to keep the doors open these days. How often do we hear about dealerships that close up and go out of business. Live and let live.

So long as they are not raking people over the coals.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a 2016 CB500F. The owners manual that came with it says the only thing that needs to be done at the 600 mile mark is an oil and oil filter change. When I purchased my bike the sales rep confirmed with a service tech that I can do the work myself and it will not void the warranty. He also said these things will pretty much run forever if you do basic maintenance and change the oil everything 4k miles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My dealer just quoted me $120 for the 600 mile service which sounded like a lot to me until I saw some of the other quotes. Mine is a 2016 so no valve check needed until I believe 16,000. Heck a service for my Jeep cost less than $50 by the dealership.

Before paying for a dealer service on one of these newer bikes, I would want to be really confident they would actually do more than just change the oil and filter. Honestly I doubt many would. Things like checking steering head bearings and so forth, I just don't believe is commonly done by most dealers on a first service.... maybe 5-10 minutes tops to check free play in throttle, clutch, tire pressure, chain tension, and whether the brake light comes on. All things an owner can easily do, and really should be familiar with.

·
Registered
36 Posts
2017 CBR 500R, 600 mile service (1000 km); about 160 USD from official Honda workshop.

Talking about perfection hehe

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
wow, here it is 2 years unlimited kms,
In my country, free lifetime service (labour only).

FREE items comes with the purchase:

Free Fullface Helmet (Selected)
Free Hand Glove (Selected)
Free Jacket (Selected)
Free Safety U-lock/disc lock
Free Key Chain
Free Geran Folder
Free Road Tax Cover
Free PA-RM 5000.00
Free Petrol Voucher
Lifetime Free Service

·
Registered
124 Posts
Before my first service, I changed the oil and filter ( bought from the dealership) with OE parts. Then the dealer completed the rest of the service for £67 UK. That was a good saving and I never had any bad remarks from them at all.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My manual said Oil and filter change at 600 miles. I did that myself. About $60 bucks bought Honda fully synthetic oil, oil filter, drain plug crush washer, and an aftermarket filter wrench. The oil change on this bike could not be easier.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Interesting.

Clearly you’re trying to get your posts up so you can post a pic of something you want to sell. Ya?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all, just got my bike back, from first 1000 Km service. The total bill, 337 $ this includes, the valve inspection ! just wondering, what others have paid ? Around the same, less more ??
About that but included $100 pickup and delivery

461 - 480 of 481 Posts