Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

441 - 460 of 481 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
my dealer quoted me $240 in nj... :) picking it up with 0 miles on her saturday when its 55 degrees out and sunny :)
I was also quoted about $240. I figured it about $40 for the oil and filter and 30 minutes for the labor. That means we're being asked to pay $400 per hour for labor. A bit much in my book.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
My 2014 went to the dealer for it's first time at 10,875 miles for a starter relay replacement. I had pulled the mid-cowls to access the headlight and replace the bulb, and left them off until I do the valve clearance inspection and adjustment next month. It is early, mileage wise, but I tend to err on that side.

A service manual can save you a fair amount of money if you are patient and willing to learn.

Reactions: Justinr

·
Registered
152 Posts
My 2014 went to the dealer for it's first time at 10,875 miles for a starter relay replacement. I had pulled the mid-cowls to access the headlight and replace the bulb, and left them off until I do the valve clearance inspection and adjustment next month. It is early, mileage wise, but I tend to err on that side.

A service manual can save you a fair amount of money if you are patient and willing to learn.
@jsonder, heard that you need to do the first service at 600miles is that a gimmick??? said they do oil & filter change plus re torque all the bolt down from tire to tire.... hmmmm

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
@jsonder, heard that you need to do the first service at 600miles is that a gimmick??? said they do oil & filter change plus re torque all the bolt down from tire to tire.... hmmmm
Not a gimmick, but, if you do it yourself you need to take pictures and keep receipts for parts, oil, etc, to maintain the warranty in the USA. I keep a log book that is 1/2 gas and 1/2 service work, parts, etc. There are different requirements in other countries.

This is not my first bike and I feel comfortable doing the routine stuff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The dealer just did my first service at 1000ks (620miles). $240 for oil and filter change and check all nuts and bolts. I only did this for the warrantee.

From now on I'll do all the servicing myself until I need to get the valves checked later on.

FYI, This was in Melbourne, Australia

Reactions: Justinr

·
Registered
5 Posts
Picked my new ride up on the weekend, was told $260aud for first service including valve clearance check. Pricey but guess warranty is worth the go ahead,

·
Registered
554 Posts
Mine was $155.00 , I change the oil myself. Three weeks ago price. I was quoted $250 when I bought my 2014 cb500f back in October 2015. So I guess if you change your oil before you have the first service you can save yourself what you paid for oil,filter & crush washer. 95 - 20 . Saved $75.00

·
Registered
72 Posts
I get a kick out of these guys that think that the first service is just and oil and filter change. Honda makes us charge $187.00 parts and labour included. I go over the bike from top to bottom. I fill out a lengthy check list of everything that I check. Next one I do I will upload here so you guys can see it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Picked my new ride up on the weekend, was told $260aud for first service including valve clearance check. Pricey but guess warranty is worth the go ahead,
The warranty is for 1 year. In my area that equals 6 month of riding. So from my perspective, the warranty isn't really that good. But I guess it depends on where you're located and how many miles you can put on in a year.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Only the 2013 bikes required a valve clearance check at 600 miles. From 2014 on, the first valve check is at 16,000 miles.

Reactions: Greyghost

·
Registered
5 Posts
The warranty is for 1 year. In my area that equals 6 month of riding. So from my perspective, the warranty isn't really that good. But I guess it depends on where you're located and how many miles you can put on in a year.
wow, here it is 2 years unlimited kms,

·
Registered
3 Posts
$80 here plus tax

Just called to take my appt for the first service at my local Honda dealer

First service includes: Change Oil & filter, check engine idle speed, inspect brakes, inspect clutch and tighten any loose bolts
all for the low price of $79.95 !!!

I have a 2014 CB500FA

·
Registered
200 Posts
Apologies if this info is already in this thread as I didn't thoroughly read through every post.

So the whole Valve check thing had me worried a bit even though most say it's only applicable to 2013 bikes (I have a 2015) so I contact the authorized dealer where I bought my bike inquiring about first service and this is what they said at first:

"Thank you for your email inquiry. Congratulations on your first 1000kms, the first service is very important, below is a list of the service provided at your 1000km service, the cost of this including tax is $208.51. I have saved a work order in the system for you so please call and I would be happy to book an appointment for you.

CHANGE ENGINE OIL
CLEAN LUBE AND ADJUST DRIVE CHAIN
CHECKED ALL LIGHTS AND CONTROLS
ADJUST THROTTLE CABLE
ADJUST CLUCH CABLE
CHECK ALL FLUID LEVELS
SET TIRE PRESSURES
LUBE ALL PIVOT POINTS"​

I skimmed through this at work and thought cool, seems to be in-line-ish with most costs listed here ... but then I noticed there Valve Clearance Check wasn't listed so I emailed them again to get in writing what the deal was. Here's their response:

"... there was a notice sent out from Honda that the valve clearances are not necessary at the 1000 km service. If you wish to have them done anyways that is up to you but we have done a few in the past and they have never been out of spec, so with that and the notice from Honda it would be a waste of money. If you still would like them done I do not have an appointment for that service till the end of July and the bike would need to be here the day before as the bike needs to be cold, also the fee with valve clearance is around $620 tax included."​

First of all, YIKES!:surprise: $620 to include the valves? No thanks - and something doesn't jive if they're quoting that much no? (taxes here is 13% so roughly $550 before taxes - still! :pissedoff ).

Secondly, as "important" as the 1K service is as they claim, nothing listed there is really anything that I can't do myself ... but as I tend to be risk adverse wrt safety and as this IS the first service after break-in, I'll probably give them my money this time around and pretty much do everything else myself moving forward ... I have 15K kms to learn how to do valve adjustments. :nerd: :grin:

I also have a friend of a friend that works at Honda so I'll contact them to see if I can't get a word straight from the source lol.

Otherwise, there you have it in writing at least. I'll let you all know if I can get anything out of Honda Canada and they say anything different.

Ride Safe!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
They can't void you warranty if you do the first service yourself. Same for using any oil of your choice, they can't void the warranty.

Heck, they only have a one year warranty on these bikes, when most companies have a 2 year warranty these days.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
They can't void you warranty if you do the first service yourself. Same for using any oil of your choice, they can't void the warranty.

Heck, they only have a one year warranty on these bikes, when most companies have a 2 year warranty these days.
There are different laws in different countries. In the USA they can't void the warranty if you show that the work was done, properly. Photos in progress and receipts should be sufficient.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had two dealers flat out lie to me aboit this valve thing. I have a 2014 cbr500r.

While i was LOOKING at my maintenance book the two women both told me "oh ya 2014 needs valve adjustments" One even told me she was looking at the SERVICE MANUAL while saying this.

My owners manual says its not required. Same as the HONDA SERVICE MANUAL i currently own..

Buncha scammers i tell you.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I got my first service about a month ago. First call to dealer was about $400 which included a valve adjustment. Second call to same dealer quoted me $257 which included valve adjustment. I finally walked in and got my sales guy. We walked over and magically I didn't need a valve adjustment. Total cost was $158.00 and they dinged my tank which took a tiny but deep chip out of the paint. I didn't notice until I got home....2016 CB500F.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, just got my bike back, from first 1000 Km service. The total bill, 337 $ this includes, the valve inspection ! just wondering, what others have paid ? Around the same, less more ??
I paid $189 in NJ. It consisted of all the items on the Honda maintenance list for 600 miles: including oil, filter, check and adjust drive chain, cables, fluids etc. It did not include valve checking or adjustment which is specified at 25k miles.

441 - 460 of 481 Posts