Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was Songkran - Thai New Year Holiday for 5 days so i went up Northeast of Thailand to Akat Amnuai district of Sakhon Nakhon Province close to Laos Border to my girlfriends peaceful village!
It is 750 km one way trip with flats and some mountains and i made a total of 1ุุ638 km and i used 91,7 liters of petrol total with 5.7 liters per 100 km average according to the trip computer, quite good as it uses only a liter more than my cbr250 on the open roads!!!
It was a two up ride with saddle bags still the bike never had any hard labor once. i know they look weird for a sport bike but i like classic bags and i bought them for only 50 USD in Bangkok besides could not find something good on time :D they are for my gfs honda cub - wave 125 as she liked the saddle bag for shopping but OK for use on cbr500r.
It was a comfy ride, no ass burn and bike feel planted with all those weight. Great engine this 470 cc one, never let me feel underpowered. I took some twisties as well and it was balanced and get the curves pretty naturally.
While going there, i left my home at 09:30 and reached the destination around 18:00 so 8.5 hours for 750 km trip with a full packed highway was not that bad.
But while returning, it was raining half the way and traffic on highway was not that different than in Bangkok amazingly. Never seen a highway like this packed in Thailand before therefore i left there at 14:30 arrived home at midnight flat:) I like riding at dark and i rode half the way wet!
Cbr500r performed pretty well under these conditions, and toured nicely and impressed me once again. Good wind protection as well. What a great mid bike that can do it all with no glitches!
I like touring, day and night, rain and sun:D

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Nice report.

I just took my missus out on the first proper(ish) ride of about 100kms. She didn't struggle once and was happy sitting anywhere between 110 & 130 depending on the roads.

·
Registered
70 Posts
being a hard core dual sport rider that I am, all I can say is that I thoroughly enjoy seeing that red honda sport bike off road :D reminds me of my ultra solid XR400. Nice ride man!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Nice write up and great to hear it wasn't a nasty experience. Bike actually looks decent with the set up you have (was thinking it wouldn't!).

·
Registered
279 Posts
question on the bags... first where did you get them, second, what sort of support on the inside do you have to keep them from hitting the rear wheel? Would love to get a setup like that, though maybe without all the decorations on them.
Also what is the purpose of changing out the rear foot pegs? More cumfy for her or they just look cool?

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was a nice ride, bike climbed to 180 kmh indicated easily with two up and bags but i rode mostly like 150 kmhs.

i got the bag from Bangkok Motor Show.
I have the card of the guy but not with me right now.
The bags are not that big and if you tie them up tightly, they do not hit the wheel - couple of instances and some hard leans, they touched the wheel though slightly as i have seen marks but not a big problem.
i know the pins and buckles look not that proper on a sport bike but do not have much time to find a proper one and i like leather look:)
so i am now ordering a custom one to the shop with no bells and whistles.
I change the rear foot pegs as they look cool and i go for track sometime and 'bikers' sets are modular and you can remove the pegs and left side of the set for a proper light track look.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Don't know about dirt but I found out they're not good for man hole covers! Pulling out of the dealership yesterday, I got on it due to traffic, and the rear wheel hit the metal, wahoo! Major fishtail! Happened so quick I think I saw my own tail light...

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
all good, rrkenz.
i did some mild trail with it and as long as you do not push the bike too much, no problems.
Bike is torquey as you know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts