Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just rolled over 800 miles on my cbr500r and I know I should be looking into some preventative maintenance. I'm going to change the oil and basically everything I've seen says don't take it in for the break in maintenance bs, just do the basics yourself. So other than changing the oil and oil filter, what else should I REALLY be doing?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Tsk, tsk. Check, clean, and lube your chain, check tire pressures, wipe the entire bike down checking for anything abnormal as you go. Rick

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Checking the tightness of bolts and nuts is also done. For do-it-yourself, make sure that the engine bolts (holding it to the frame) are tight. Make sure that the allen (hex head) bolts that hold the case covers on are snug, especially around the water pump.

The oil change is to remove the particles worn off of the transmission gears and to a lesser extent from the seating of the engine rings and such in the engine. It will not hurt to use a new filter as well.

Checking the rear wheel alignment and lubing the chain is standard. If the chain is too loose or tight, it should be adjusted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey guys, just rolled over 800 miles on my cbr500r and I know I should be looking into some preventative maintenance. I'm going to change the oil and basically everything I've seen says don't take it in for the break in maintenance bs, just do the basics yourself. So other than changing the oil and oil filter, what else should I REALLY be doing?
The Haynes Manual, Service Manual and Owners Manual all state that the oil capacity with filter change is 2.7 litres. I did this and after running the engine to fill the oil filter the oil level did not even come to the bottom of the sight glass. The bike is a 2015F.

I ended up putting a total of 3 litres in and it's still not quite up to the top mark on the sight glass. I reckon 3.1 litres would be needed to reach the top mark.

Anyone else experienced this ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Haynes Manual, Service Manual and Owners Manual all state that the oil capacity with filter change is 2.7 litres. I did this and after running the engine to fill the oil filter the oil level did not even come to the bottom of the sight glass. The bike is a 2015F.

I ended up putting a total of 3 litres in and it's still not quite up to the top mark on the sight glass. I reckon 3.1 litres would be needed to reach the top mark.

I should have mentioned the bike was on its centre stand on level ground.

·
Registered
154 Posts
We usually buy bikes with a range of 200 miles or more. So we lubricate the chain every other tank of fuel. Easy to remember and regular lubrication greatly extends chain and sprocket life.

·
Registered
34 Posts
O-ring chains have sealed lubricant in the rollers and require much less "lubing" than people think. In fact they are designed to be nearly maintenance-free.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I spray wax the chain every other fill up as well. Wax seems to keep the chain much cleaner than other lubricants, but to each his own.
As to the oil capacity, as others mentioned with a new filter 3 US quarts seems right. I buy a gallon jug & use it to top up if needs be or roll it over into the next oil change. Also, I always change the filter each oil change. Cheap matainance.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Changing the oil without changing the filter is like taking a dump and not wiping your azz.

What’s wrong with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts

Just changed oil and filter 2019 CB500X and it took 3 quarts and another 8 ounces on top of that to be full on center stand. Measured old oil and it was the same

1 - 15 of 15 Posts