Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm taking it really easy on this thing because I haven't rode since November when I sold my 250r. I rode it around the huge spanse of parking lot in my apartment complex today. Sadly I haven't put more than a few miles on it and probably won't for a few days because I work so **** much.

Anyhow, keep in mind, I don't know much about bikes other than how to ride them. Also my only real riding experience is coming from the year and a half I owned my CBR250R.

As far as looks, I studied every video and photo over the past couple of months and feel it love with how it looks. It looks 100 times better in person. I got the tri-color and the white paint is gorgeous.

Riding it, right off the bat, this thing has a HUGE difference in power. Even it first and second, it really just picks up without much throttle unlike the 250R. I am blown away. This thing purrs! It's just do responsive, I feel like I'm in a sports car, LOL! I got bored with my 250 and it want even really fun for me to ride anymore, this thing is a blast! I finally got that adrenaline rush that I hadn't experienced in far too long.

The other big difference is the weight. This thing is heavy! It really catches you off guard if your not used to it. I came to a stop in the parking lot and as soon as I stopped and put my feet down you can really feel that weight, it admittedly **** near dropped her. I'll be glad when I get used to it and get a feel for it, but coming from the 250 world, you definitely feel it the difference.

Anyhow, wish I could offer you more but those are my first impressions from the short time I've spent with it so far. LOVE IT! Sadly I am almost afraid to ride it, the thought of accidentally dropping this thing scares the **** out of me!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't be afraid, just ride it! All the bikes that I owned, after one week of full utilization, felt like a bicycle!
Yeah, tomorrow afternoon I plan to put some miles on it and get comfortable with it. I can't wait until more of you guys get your bikes, hopefully some folks in my area especially.

Any Tampa Bay riders out there?

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
if you are stepping your foot good enough, you never drop that no worries and the there are only 30 kg difference between a 250 and 500.
Just it is only psychologically harder. I feel no difference between these bikes in terms of weight or height etc.
All you need is some time with it and yes after a while you will ride it like a bicycle.
Finally it is good to see another member here with the bike.
Post more reviews once you cover some miles with it.
Happy rides and keep the distance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, tomorrow afternoon I plan to put some miles on it and get comfortable with it. I can't wait until more of you guys get your bikes, hopefully some folks in my area especially.

Any Tampa Bay riders out there?

I am in Hudson, Florida. I am thinking about getting a CBR500R. I currently own a 2011 Ninja 1000.

I am no spring chicken. I've been riding since I was 13-14 (ok, I'm 52 now).

Owned about every type of bike there is over the years.

If you nearly dropped the bike at a stop it tells me you are fairly short? You only come down on one foot?... on your toes? You're 5'6" or so? I'm 6'2" and can flat foot any bike out there. You think this 500 is heavy? It's a feather in the wind, my friend. Maybe you should try my bike!

Keep riding. I give you a year or so before you want to move up even higher, but let me advise you on this -

Really consider the riding you do mostly. City? Highway? Commute? Fun?

Bigger displacement bikes are a blast, but for the most part you don't tap into HALF of what they can do. My Ninja tops out at 175mph WITH the bags! Do I use that? Rarely... only on a very open and deserted straight. The rest of the time I am an urban rider for the most part.

That's why I am considering the CBR500R. I had a Ninja 650R in 2006 and it was a blast in the city. Not so much on the highway (I'm too tall for proper wind protection even from an aftermarket touring screen).

Back then I bought that Ninja 650 for basically the price of the CBR500 today. I know what the CBR will feel like and what it's capable of without even trying it out. My favorite mount of all time was my 2006 Honda VFR 800 Interceptor. Talk about a wide and HEAVY bike though.

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
nice looking bike

·
Registered
56 Posts
I cant wait to get past the first 600 miles to really get into mine. Id like to get up into the 6k to 8k rpm ranges, but i dont want to tear it up during break in :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
I cant wait to get past the first 600 miles to really get into mine. Id like to get up into the 6k to 8k rpm ranges, but i dont want to tear it up during break in :(
Theres no rush - these bikes have a very flat acceleration curve. 6 -8k feels much like 5 - 6k imo, just louder.

Its a commuter at the end of the day, not a sports bike, that said its still a nice bike =)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts