Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else find themselves jumping back and forth between the F and R models?
Sometimes I am dead-set on the 500r. It's good looks, gap-filling displacement, and semi-sporty position attract me but I'd be lying if I said the naked F version isn't sexy as ****.
Do you guys think the 500's will all cost the same to insure?

·
Registered
146 Posts
One insurance company I called didn't want to ensure the 500r because they meant it was a "risk bike" .. :p Even the 250 had a high premium!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Does anyone else find themselves jumping back and forth between the F and R models?
No. The F is more comfortable.

Sometimes I am dead-set on the 500r. It's good looks, gap-filling displacement, and semi-sporty position attract me but I'd be lying if I said the naked F version isn't sexy as ****.
I want to ride it, not look at it (well, ok, maybe a little bit :) )

·
Registered
582 Posts
X - The only choice
Not if you're 6'2" - the saddle hump on the X doesn't let me sit comfortably. It pushes me too far forward. I think Honda have screwed up a bit, as I assumed the X would be the one I would buy. In hindsight, I'm glad the seat design is poor, as I'm very happy with the F.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I have had the same debate. The naked F version is very sexy but I am still going to go for the R. It is sporty looking and that to me is what I want everyday.

If I wanted a true naked bike I'd get an older/vintage style standard naked bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
New technology is also nice.

The older/vintage bikes tend to be air-cooled with lower compression ratios and get poorer gas mileage.

Reactions: D Rob and Scisorro

·
Registered
89 Posts
in my opinion its all a matter of opinion,that would be a rhetorical question sir.....lol the r is for people like me that want a supersport look without the un-needed extra power as i live in west virginia where all the roads are very curvy and you would hardly ever even get the chance to use 75% of the power....plus cops are gay...lol the f is for the average naked style person.......I myself prefer clothes:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
in my opinion its all a matter of opinion,that would be a rhetorical question sir.....lol the r is for people like me that want a supersport look without the un-needed extra power as i live in west virginia where all the roads are very curvy and you would hardly ever even get the chance to use 75% of the power....plus cops are gay...lol the f is for the average naked style person.......I myself prefer clothes:D
Note:this doesnt come from expierence as i have none as all my info comes from the fact that i read alot of threads, everyone says the f is more comfortable but i still dont think it would matter that much.....correct me if im wrong...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Note:this doesnt come from expierence as i have none as all my info comes from the fact that i read alot of threads, everyone says the f is more comfortable but i still dont think it would matter that much.....correct me if im wrong...
and my insurance quote for a 2013 cbr500r is only 41usd per month for full coverage....and im 20yrs old so if your older it should be cheaper....right????

i know mine goes down when i turn 21

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Consider yourself corrected.

Rider comfort IS important.

Especially to us geezers. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am definitely leading toward the R. I love the looks of the F but about half of my commuting will be highway riding and I've heard that speeds above 75mph can be less than ideal for naked bikes (due to wind). I may be wrong, but I also suspect the added wind resistance of the F version will lead to lower MPG's...?

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
'r' all the way.
It is a better all around bike. You can go to track, commute with it and do some touring at the same day:D - which i am doing all right now with cbr500r. It is definitely the most dynamic and sporty of the trio with not much compromise on comfort and seat position.
'f' has no wind protection and too upright for my taste. Good for city though and naked lovers. it is a good for second easy bike as well!
'x' is good for touring and some mild trails and i found no problems with the saddle but softy suspension is getting some dynamism out still it is the most comfortable of the trio definitely and best for touring among them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would assume insurance is the same for all three types?
maybe?? i guess i depends on your provider on some posts i have heard(seen) people saying that their insurance companies wont even cover the 500r for some kind of risk or claiming that it is a (risk bike)???
I use safeco if thats available in other states or countries idk.

·
Registered
175 Posts
'r' all the way.
It is a better all around bike. You can go to track, commute with it and do some touring at the same day:D - which i am doing all right now with cbr500r. It is definitely the most dynamic and sporty of the trio with not much compromise on comfort and seat position.
'f' has no wind protection and too upright for my taste. Good for city though and naked lovers. it is a good for second easy bike as well!
'x' is good for touring and some mild trails and i found no problems with the saddle but softy suspension is getting some dynamism out still it is the most comfortable of the trio definitely and best for touring among them.
This is such a tough call because originally I had my mind set on the CBR500R but after all the discussion on the F. I had my mind caught up between the two. Looking at the overall design of the CBr500F I just fell in love. The naked styling and riding position of the F is nice for cruising but doesnt make sense for the weekend lap days on the track. Which the CBR500R is good for.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
all honda 500 series are good bikes at the end scisorro.
if you like naked and short distance relaxed cruising and some more comfort go for cb500f, it looks good really and if you have an intention to go for a track and do some long distances, go for cbr500 which you can cruise with it too!

you cannot go wrong with any of these anyway:D

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I agree. It just depends what you like. Neither is superior.

I am just interested to see if insurance companies will mark up the R version because they think it's a "sports bike" and therefore high risk.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts