Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new rider here and purchased a 2013 Honda cb500 the other week. It came with 1 key. Regular locksmiths can’t make a spare. Where to go? Dealership? Avg cost? Thx in advance!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have a schematic with part numbers and prices, for a 2014 cb500F. Part #s 6 and 8 are the "key emblem" and "blank key". I would take the key and or bike to your local dealer and let them order the proper key. It just looks like a blank, I don't know why a local locksmith couldn't cut it with a new blank and your existing key... But I'm often wrong. Either way, your dealer's parts or service departments can give you the needed info.
Save up to 25% on 2014 Honda CB500F OEM Parts | MotoSport

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a schematic with part numbers and prices, for a 2014 cb500F. Part #s 6 and 8 are the "key emblem" and "blank key". I would take the key and or bike to your local dealer and let them order the proper key. It just looks like a blank, I don't know why a local locksmith couldn't cut it with a new blank and your existing key... But I'm often wrong. Either way, your dealer's parts or service departments can give you the needed info.
Save up to 25% on 2014 Honda CB500F OEM Parts | MotoSport
He said he could get the blank and do the key but not the computer code part of it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Does yours have H.I.S.S. printed around the barrel? If not it does not require a chipped key, and those are how the bike was sold in the U.S., without an immobilizer.

But if you do have an H.I.S.S. bike, with a programmed key, then you can buy an inexpensive cable on eBay to allow you to program keys yourself. It is usually sold as a H.I.S.S. Key Programming Tool or similar, but if you feel up to making your own it is literally just a piece of cable with a resistor on it.

There are plenty of YouTube videos showing the reprogramming process, as well as making your own cable, but the process is as simple as connecting a port to the battery then taking keys in and out. So you can just buy a blank chipped cable for your locksmith to cut, then program it after.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a spare about a year ago from Keys4UrRide.com. Cost about $30. Worked fine. I always keep 3 keys; one at home, one on a lanyard around my neck when I ride and and one in the ignition. Keys4UrRide.com will need your key code from Honda.

Ralph

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congrats on the bike! I actually scoped out that exact one for a while wondering what happened to it before I bought my 2016 Cbr500r. The guy I bought mine from had the original “master” key stil in its sleeve from the dealer he bought it from new. If there wasn’t a master code a dealership would definitely be the best option to track it down

·
Registered
2018 Suzuki GSXS-1000F
329 Posts
Welcome aboard. As others have mentioned, your US 2013 shouldn’t have the HISS system so a blank can be cut by your locksmith and should work just fine. My 2013 did not have HISS and I don’t know of any US bikes that did that year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats on the bike! I actually scoped out that exact one for a while wondering what happened to it before I bought my 2016 Cbr500r. The guy I bought mine from had the original “master” key stil in its sleeve from the dealer he bought it from new. If there wasn’t a master code a dealership would definitely be the best option to track it down
Haha really? From Val? Good bike, glad you found one too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Haha really? From Val? Good bike, glad you found one too!
Yeah I saw the listing and was holding out until I found an SV650. Never found an SV that wasn’t covered in red flags or a state away so I just stuck to the budget. Either way these these bikes have that awesome engine. Have fun and be safe

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2013 CBR500R came with only one key which was not the original. A locksmith copied it but said it probably would not work due to the scratch marks on the original indicating it had not been made to exact standards. She was right. I went back and she looked up the key code based on the information on the bike and from Honda. It worked perfectly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts