Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking at this exhaust for my cb500f.

Forgive the silly questions... mainly looking for a louder exhaust as the bike super quiet and when
passing on the freeway (lane split) It would be nice for the bike to have a bit more volume so I dont get killed... I was looking at this exhaust and had a few simple questions:

--
First Question:
Regarding the (IXIL L3XB BLACK HYPERLOW)
IXIL L3XB BLACK HYPERLOW SLIP ON EXHAUST HONDA CB 500 F 2016-2017 - IXIL USA

Is this a good/decent system to get a bit more noise ?

Do I have to worry if this is legal in my state (CA) ?
--
Second question:
I know there are wraps for exhaust headers , but this bike is my daily and im not going to polish the pipes every day (or every other day.. or even every week) . I know there are wraps available ... but why cant I just use high temp paint and paint them black?

·
Registered
40 Posts
the ixil exhaust with baffles (aka db-killers, silencers) will be louder than your stock exhaust. if you remove the baffles it will be very noticeably louder - possibly too loud for your taste or for California police (especially in certain high-profile residential areas). i think all aftermarket exhausts are technically illegal in CA, but it's not heavily scrutinized.

second question:

https://jalopnik.com/painting-your-exhaust-why-how-and-what-it-looks-like-1717071689

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the pointers :)

Just FYI was referencing a slip-on exhaust in my post , as I still intend to use the factory CAT and 02 sensor (I think the full exhaust is illegal but thought slip ons were fine).
(but then again what do i know...)

Also a few more stupid questions
- Do I have to prime my pipes if there are no rust and they are only just discolored from use?
- If I do have to prime (is there such thing as high temp primer) ??? Wouldn't you also need hi temp primer as well to avoid the paint coming off?

·
Registered
2018 Suzuki GSXS-1000F
332 Posts
You can use VHT high heat primer first but don’t need to. I scrubbed my header well with scotch bright, shot them black with VHT 2000 degree paint and once cured wrapped them with titanium header wrap. That was a couple years back and the exposed parts have yet to peel or chip.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks JCarrithers.

Aside for the Paint/Wrap part of the question that has been covered a bit can any one speak of anything regarding the (IXIL L3XB BLACK HYPERLOW) that i mentioned in the OP? (is this a decent brand, quality, etc). Or if you know anyone that runs with one of these would be interested to hear what they say about it - again here is a link to it IXIL L3XB BLACK HYPERLOW SLIP ON EXHAUST HONDA CB 500 F 2016-2017 - IXIL USA

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just went to my local parts store and bought a tailpipe that’s fits on where the muffler comes off. I used the oem muffler clamp and gasket and slotted my tailpipe similar to the oem muffler. It’s loud as **** now but I generally only use this pipe during spring and fall when animals are likely to be on the roads in my area (northern Ontario). I actually kinda like the sound and as long as you always wear earplugs as I do, it’s not all that bad. The pops are also much more noticeable now during downshifting/deceleration. This method only cost me about $20 with paint and can easily be swapped back to factory in about 10 minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts