Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 model cb500f and have fitted a delkevic exhaust. The delkevic website tells me that the bike does not require a remap with the exhaust fitted but neglects to say whether this is only with the baffle in.

Im currently riding with the baffle in and have lost 3 or 4 mpg, I'm not concerned about the fuel costs but is this any indication that I am damaging the bike?

I haven't noticed any real difference in performance.

Also if I was to remove the baffle and say lose another 3 or 4 mpg would this be a bike destroying issue?

Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 15 model cb500f and have fitted a delkevic exhaust. The delkevic website tells me that the bike does not require a remap with the exhaust fitted but neglects to say whether this is only with the baffle in.

Im currently riding with the baffle in and have lost 3 or 4 mpg, I'm not concerned about the fuel costs but is this any indication that I am damaging the bike?

I haven't noticed any real difference in performance.

Also if I was to remove the baffle and say lose another 3 or 4 mpg would this be a bike destroying issue?

Thanks!
Are you riding the same or living in the upper rpms to hear the exhaust?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since fitting, exactly the same, commuting and one sunny day blast which is pretty representative of my riding as of late.

Ive only really noticed the mpg because I've been 72+ since I got the bike 2 months ago and am now hovering around 68-69, with the only change being the exhaust.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My mistake, I need to read clearer.

Are you feeling any hiccups or anything you feel is detrimental? I doubt it will be hurting anything, especially since the most common thing for many motorcycles is a new exhaust and nothing more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha no worries.

Nothing out of the ordinary so far, I think i might try taking the baffle out and see how that effects the mpg and hopefully then I will be able to really notice any changes in power/engine sounds

·
Registered
443 Posts
Another thought. The more you ride this bike the more comfortable you will get on it. I suspect you might be riding it a little harder even if you don’t realize it. When I first got my 500 I also got 70+mpg but the more I rode it the more I reved it. Now my mileage averages mid 60s. Stock can BTW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you may be right, I have noticed I'm 1 gear down more often which is obv gonna burn more fuel. Next few days I'm going to remove the baffle and see if that effects the mpg then I should be able to tell what's going on!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a Leo Vince with two baffles. Front baffle only in it sucks. No baffle its fire and brimstone moto GP pop and bang gorgeous but slower. Rear baffle only spot on. Just goes to show.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a Leo Vince with two baffles. Front baffle only in it sucks. No baffle its fire and brimstone moto GP pop and bang gorgeous but slower. Rear baffle only spot on. Just goes to show.
Which all shows that Honda engineers are not fools! I do wish they'd have made a better looking muffler, tho.

Ralph

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here’s another consideration...if you live in a climate where it’s getting to be colder outside, most gasoline companies add additives to their fuel in the winter to make vehicles start more easily in the cold. The downside to this is those additives typically reduce fuel economy. That could be going on possibly...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts