Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the new bikes are trickling in, mods are being considered. One of them being exhausts. Whether its only a slip on or the full exhaust, this topic is both interesting and controversial. Some riders feel loud exhausts save lives by alerting cagers before they see us whereas others disagree prefering a quiet approach stating cagers won't hear until we are beside them.

So gentlemen and ladies, what do you think? Do loud pipes save lives? Are they just loud and obnoxious noise pollution that aggravates our neighbors? If you are planning on switching out the stock pipe what is your choice? What are the laws regarding max decibels in your country/state/province/kingdom etc?

Lets generate a discussion :)

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I can degenerate!

I always keep the stock pipes. My neighbors do not dislike me because of my motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
i say loud for city and track and quiet for touring!
Loud pipes definitely saves lives especially on 500 series which sounds like a scooter.
Mostly people notice me very late with the stock pipe and as lane splitting or sudden moves are a norm on where i live, riders especially needs to be aware of the fact that a big bike is coming.

·
Registered
582 Posts
On my 750, I have LOUD Lucas horns. I think they'd also be a good investment for the 500.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I think there needs to be a definition of loud (decibels would be nice but I have no idea what that would actually mean in simple terms).

Personally, the stock is too quiet and will be putting a slip on as a modification. Not sure which one but Akrapovic seems to be my favourite at the moment.

I want a loud one but not too loud. Enough to be noticed but not to be getting a headache every time I ride... plus my neighbours are like jsonder's ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
DkD I ordered my CBR with the Akrapovic :) bike gets delivered tomorrow, however the exhaust is not yet at the dealers so they will be sending it out. I'll post a vid and pic when I get it :)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The max decibels in my area is 96 I think. This law was instituted a year ago. My neighbors are cool but I'm sure some were not fond of several bikes that lived at my house ha ha. My feeling is, if ppl can party with loud music, drive cars with blasting speakers etc then what's wrong with loud bike exhausts? I can understand some complaint if the bike sat outside running for extended time. It is a fact some ppl are not fond of bikes and loud exhausts.....sadly. I'm keeping my stock for now. An Akra will be my choice sometime in the future

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see some posters are commenting cagers don't hear them with their bikes quiet exhaust. My HD had stage 2 Screaming Eagle exhaust. Very throaty, which I liked, but not too loud. My cbf1000 was an inline 4 dual exhaust, which was very quiet. My cbr250 had the Yosh full exhaust on. Very loud and in time became obnoxious sounding. After 2 yrs it became tiring, especially on long trips. Not sure what I may do with this 500. Akra may be a good choice but I will be patient to hear how it sounds. I'm not interested in changing it out looks wise as I quite like the looks. Not interested in increased performance and I'm not convinced on "loud pipes save lives".

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm not sold on loud pipes saves lives... Too many times a bike comes hauling ass behind me and I never hear them. As soon as they are in front of me they're crazy loud. I then have to hear them when they're a half mile ahead of me...
I want something deep rumbling sounding at idle (not too loud) and not screaming at highway speeds

·
Registered
565 Posts
DkD I ordered my CBR with the Akrapovic :) bike gets delivered tomorrow, however the exhaust is not yet at the dealers so they will be sending it out. I'll post a vid and pic when I get it :)
Yes pls!!!!!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I had a car that made windows vibrate in the little courtyard group we lived in. It also set off motion detectors in cars in car parks. I still had lots idiots change lanes nearly hitting me. Loud pipes dont save lives IMHO...although they might be a "crutch" for bad road positioning...there I said it ;-)

Not sitting in the blind spot of others and being situationally aware does save lives though.

Loud pipes do piss people off though, including the rider/driver who gets sick of the constant drone...I know a few people who have sworn off loud pipes for that very reason...

Reactions: DkD

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
I get pissed of from constant car drone, high sound of airplanes, fridge etc.
If my pipe pisses people, lets be it then.
It is ok to raise your decibel limit according to the regulations.

·
Registered
26 Posts
well if the people driving are pissed because of your loud pipes at least they know your there right :) I just hate it when they have no clue but when you stick on an exhaust it will help wake those people up and let them know here you are so they don't hit you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts