Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a 2014 CBR500R, and recently I’ve heard a loud rattling noise around the engine area. I checked the oil, saw it was low and added oil thinking it would fix itself. Well it hasn’t. Yesterday on a ride I noticed the noise stops as soon as I pull in the clutch. Any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello! I have a 2014 CBR500R, and recently I’ve heard a loud rattling noise around the engine area. I checked the oil, saw it was low and added oil thinking it would fix itself. Well it hasn’t. Yesterday on a ride I noticed the noise stops as soon as I pull in the clutch. Any ideas what it could be?
I should mention the noise continues after I let go of the clutch. Shifting feels fine, and the noise comes at around 45MPH in 5th gear. Frankly, any fear it makes the noise.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I think you're going to have to post a video to help us understand the noise.

It's normal for most sequential-shift motorcycle transmissions to make some noise; they're constant mesh, straight-cut gears and there's a fair amount of net "slop" between the primary gear on the crankshaft and the sprocket. Power pulses from the engine can translate into the transmission gears "bouncing" off each other within this slop and that can make noise.

But that noise is typically limited to when the bike is idling. If you pull and release the clutch lever, sometimes you can hear a pretty distinct noise come and go. You're hearing noise at 45mph which is worrying, moreso because it sounds like the engine may have run low on oil. How much oil did you have to add to bring it up?

Do you hear the noise at idle? Can you get a video of it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you're going to have to post a video to help us understand the noise.

It's normal for most sequential-shift motorcycle transmissions to make some noise; they're constant mesh, straight-cut gears and there's a fair amount of net "slop" between the primary gear on the crankshaft and the sprocket. Power pulses from the engine can translate into the transmission gears "bouncing" off each other within this slop and that can make noise.

But that noise is typically limited to when the bike is idling. If you pull and release the clutch lever, sometimes you can hear a pretty distinct noise come and go. You're hearing noise at 45mph which is worrying, moreso because it sounds like the engine may have run low on oil. How much oil did you have to add to bring it up?

Do you hear the noise at idle? Can you get a video of it?
It doesn’t make the noise at idle, it sounds perfect at idle in fact. While I can get a video, the noise only happens while I’m actually riding. I have a phone holder so I could use that to video but I think the wind noise would drown out the “issue noise”.

I ended up having to add about 2.5 quarts (?the smaller one haha) to fill it up. I’m new to motorcycle maintenance and just recently learned how oil is burned off for motorcycle engines.
Thank you for the swift reply!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
It doesn’t make the noise at idle, it sounds perfect at idle in fact. While I can get a video, the noise only happens while I’m actually riding. I have a phone holder so I could use that to video but I think the wind noise would drown out the “issue noise”.

I ended up having to add about 2.5 quarts (?the smaller one haha) to fill it up. I’m new to motorcycle maintenance and just recently learned how oil is burned off for motorcycle engines.
Thank you for the swift reply!
Uh oh. If the bike was that low on oil it's possible any of a number of things could be hurt.

If you have the bike on the side stand running in neutral and rev the engine up to, say, 4000rpm, do you hear the noise then?

Does it sound like this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2.5 quarts? Mate total oil capacity is 2.9 quarts...
Uh oh. If the bike was that low on oil it's possible any of a number of things could be hurt.

If you have the bike on the side stand running in neutral and rev the engine up to, say, 4000rpm, do you hear the noise then?

Does it sound like this?
Sounds nearly exactly like that. What can I do about it?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
It's possible the noise is related to the timing chain or tensioner (or guide & tensioner arm).

TBH, that's about all I'd be willing to guess without hearing it (are you able to try by revving it in neutral in the garage?) and would suggest you seek the opinion of a Honda service department.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's possible the noise is related to the timing chain or tensioner (or guide & tensioner arm).

TBH, that's about all I'd be willing to guess without hearing it (are you able to try by revving it in neutral in the garage?) and would suggest you seek the opinion of a Honda service department.
As soon as I’m able to get a video, I’ll post it. I’m taking everything into consideration and greatly appreciate your help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts