Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi hows it going? Ive recently purchased a 2013 cbr500r and it has started to have an issue. It mainly happens when Im accelerating but sometimes while just cruising aswell. The engine will sort of stutter/shudder and I lose power then it sort of kicks back in. Anyone have any ideas as to what it might be? Greatly appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Could be a few things. Clutch, fuel pump, chain...Need more info.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Easy enough to add some fuel system cleaner.
Techron is modern & good.
SeaFoam is the oldest and good
Berryman's B12 is the cheapest and good.

Use the labeled amount. 1 tankful should show effect if it is solving the problem.

ride safely,

·
Registered
411 Posts
It's only got 5400Km's, I have a feeling it might've been the fuel. Been out on it for a few hours the last couple of days and have been through a couple of tanks. The problem seems to have gone away on it's own. Hopefully that's all it was.
Sounds like it to me. These things need use. Better to ride them a little and deal with wear and tear, than leave them idle for months and have issues like this.

A good ride out often works wonders.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Fuel goes off a lot quicker than people expect. Whenever I put my bike away for the winter run them until almost empty then I add a litre of fuel with fuel stabilizer. Run them for 5 mins to make sure it goes through the system. I use Lucas Oil - Fuel Stabilizer. It also stops fuel gumming up carbs etc

Never had an issue - same for petrol mower and strimmer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately, it looks like the problem is still there. Went out for a ride today and it kept doing it almost every time I would try to give it some. Do you think that swapping the fuel pump would be the best first step?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Throttle cable loose at all? Sometimes it’s a simple thing. Mine had to be adjusted in the first 3k miles. Here’s an instructional video someone made for cable adjusts.

Air filter clogged and engine not getting air? Instructional video here:

I’d look at all the super simple things first. Then if it’s not that I’d look at spark plug and fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Unfortunately, it looks like the problem is still there. Went out for a ride today and it kept doing it almost every time I would try to give it some. Do you think that swapping the fuel pump would be the best first step?
No.

Try any and all exterior adjustments first. Hopefully it will be something simple

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
At 3000 RPM the engine lugs for me. Around 4000 it starts to climb smoothly. If you're only revving 2500 as somebody else suggested that would explain it. You didn't specify what the "rev range" is for you. If it's still doing this accelerating from 5000 RPM up to 7000 then something must be wrong. Do you notice any loss of power or fire when you just smoothly rev the bike in neutral?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same issue.. Mine was like yours but would cut out at idle too sometimes. Header pipe was cool if it started out stuttering.. I had to drain the tank and take it off. Turned out mine was a loose connection to the left cylinder coil pack or the pack itself. Bought a new one and installed and Made sure the Clip connection was tight and haven't had a problem since. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At 3000 RPM the engine lugs for me. Around 4000 it starts to climb smoothly. If you're only revving 2500 as somebody else suggested that would explain it. You didn't specify what the "rev range" is for you. If it's still doing this accelerating from 5000 RPM up to 7000 then something must be wrong. Do you notice any loss of power or fire when you just smoothly rev the bike in neutral?
It happens even when Im at around 7000rpm, it's definitely not because the revs are too low.

·
Registered
30 Posts
when I had something similar happen - it was because I was running out of gas. I also chalk it up to crappy fuel since I had to fill up before I completely emptied out. it would take off just fine, but then after a quarter mile or so, it would feel like it was choking when I tried to accelerate. thought it might just be a first gear thing but happened in any gear. I did check the tank when I stopped and there was gas, but when it finally up and stopped and didn't start back up again, I found out it was out of gas. Once I filled it up it was fine again. my gas gauge was off. kept telling me I had gas when I was running out. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but some of the folks here on the forums offer some good points to check. if you're not sure, just take it in and have them deal with it.

for me, it was a dangerous enough situation that I called and scheduled an appointment (was close to calling in for a tow too) with my dealers service department.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts