Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
the simple and easy answer is HONDA GN4 10w30. this is a can-of-worms topic where the drawbacks and other options' virtues can be argued ad infinitum, but you simply can not go wrong with what HONDA recommends and uses on these bikes: HONDA GN4 10w30.
I ran 10w-40 for only a day before replacing it with 10w-30. There were clear differences in performance between the two oils and unless you live around the equator I would stick to the OEM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, this forum has helped me with pretty much all of my motorcycle questions.

I doubt there's any serious harm in running 10/40 I just noticed the bike has more pep with the 10/30 and feels more responsive and I guess that would make sense. It is thinner and the engine isn't terribly powerful so i think those ten points in viscosity make a difference.

Also this post seemed to be pointing in all different directions around preference. I'm not saying any one oil is better than the other I don't have enough experience with oils to make a judgement like that but between two Honda GN4 oils the 10/30 felt like an improvement.

I live in Canada though and I don't typically see summer highs much above 30°c so maybe in hotter climates it might be different.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Ive got both an f and r model, both 2016. Thr f with 10/40 the r with the honda 10/30, both bikes perform identical and even the mpg match down to the point something.

·
Registered
77 Posts
ALEX - you see why you dont ask ANY oil questions??
ALL you get is - "I use this oil - its the best - it will last 20,000 miles and gets me 100mpg" !!
You get out your manual - find the type of oil you need and the specs its needs to have and you go buy some of that.
NO one oil is better than another. No one brand is better than another.
IF an oil was just crap - people wouldn't buy it, most likely be under some law suit because of the damage caused, and we all would know about it!
Sync over dino oil - again a HUGH debatable topic. What ever YOU want to use.
Can you use 10w50 - yep
Can you use 10w40 - yep
The number after the "W" is what the oil is like when the engine is warm. If your in 100+ temps, then you might want 40 or even 50 weight.
Will a 50 weight oil used when the temp are lower hurt your engine - not really, but dont use 50 IF your not in very high heat - desert -areas.

Or by the way I use Brand X oil. It has supper polymers for extreme lubrication, it will last extremely long and never turns black.
Its $20 a quart but soooo worth it. Nothing else is better.
Just had to add what I use to this!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Honda's specs for our bikes are:

SAE: 10W30
JASO: MA
API: SG or higher (i.e. the second letter increases in alphabetic order), and not marked as energy conserving on the label.

The table on The Disastronaut's oil meets all of those. SL is better than SG while the CF part just means it also meets an older standard so can be ignored. And there is no mention of any conserving properties.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts