Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of engine oil should I use? Mineral oil or fully synthetic and what oil in particular

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Honda recommends 10w30 but Handa Service used 10w50. i didn't ask what they use. after i got home i looked service form and i saw they used 10w50.
sholud i change oil and replace with 10w30? does will it make trouble using 10w50?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
It is a bit unusual. Most owners manuals from the past gave a chart of oil grade vs temperature.
But my 500F manual lists only 10w30. So, I used Honda oil this time. For only 3 qts. the price is acceptable.

I did notice that (I think) if you drain the oil with a center stand,
you do not get all of the old oil to drain because the rear of the engine is tilted up.
So I drained with the bike on the side stand. I added 3 qts. minus 100mL and came out perfect on the oil level.
The oil level was close to the same whether standing vertical or on the center stand.

To answer your question, Yes, I would change the oil to the Honda G4 and save to new/drained oil for use in my lawnmower or such.

Ride Safely,

·
Registered
604 Posts
Honda recommends 10w30 but Handa Service used 10w50. i didn't ask what they use. after i got home i looked service form and i saw they used 10w50.
sholud i change oil and replace with 10w30? does will it make trouble using 10w50?
you are in Turkey and maybe the climate there is the reason they chose a different weight oil... double check your owners' manual... i have not personally seen the owners' manual for Turkey but the different international versions i have seen say 10w30, that doesn't mean that it is not possible that a country may have a different recomendation from honda. if your owners' manual does in fact call for 10w30, i would have the honda service shop that did your oil change switch it out for you.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My dealer used 10w50 on the first 1,000km service. The bike sounded rough, like there was a bag of bolts rattling around inside the engine. I took it straight back and made them change it to Honda 10w30 and it's been fine ever since.

·
Registered
885 Posts
A dealer recorded on my 1000 km service that they'd used 10w50 oil in my CBR500RA. I questioned it straight away and they reckon mechanic made a typo and 10w40 was used. I wasn't convinced but bike was ok on it, but after another 1500 km i changed the oil to 10w40. That seemed fine, but after 12000 km service at a different Honda dealer, it now has 10w30 Honda oil in it. That too seems fine, maybe the best "feeling" oil yet.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I only use Spectro Gold 10w40 on all of my bikes. It has all the proper detergents and is the proper oil for my riding climate not to mention that dealers don't carry 10w30 and use 10w40.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I only use Spectro Gold 10w40 on all of my bikes. It has all the proper detergents and is the proper oil for my riding climate not to mention that dealers don't carry 10w30 and use 10w40.
The dealer here in Alberta also puts 10W40 made by Motul. Seems alright, never asked why why not and such...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Shell Rotella T 10W-30. They stock it at a local Tractor Supply Company store rather cheaply in 5 gallon jugs. I assume similar stores (Farm and Fleet, Fleet Farm, etc.) might carry it. Maybe other places that cater to diesel trucks...
... and Porsches :)

Reactions: Thump

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
^ That's what I put in my Porsche!

Attachments

Reactions: Natrix

·
Registered
151 Posts
Rotella is still not the quality of a product specific motorcycle oil. There is a reason why good motorcycle oil costs $9 + a quart, and it's not the brand name.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Has anyone tried the Pro Honda HP4 blend? Any reason to go with this over the usual Pro Honda GN4 blend?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Rotella is still not the quality of a product specific motorcycle oil. There is a reason why good motorcycle oil costs $9 + a quart, and it's not the brand name.
LOL. Please educate us. If you're going to make an assertion like this, it's customary to back it up with data. If it's not marketing, then please tell us, what is it?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts