Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
Also keep in mind that not all the oils sold in all places are the same. For example the Rotella oils we use in the US are universal type oils most commonly used in diesel trucks but also suitable for gasoline engines. The Shell diesel oils sold outside the US tend to be diesel specific.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I bought some HONDA HP4 oil and a stock filter. Am planning on changing oil and filter every 6000km's.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Also keep in mind that not all the oils sold in all places are the same. For example the Rotella oils we use in the US are universal type oils most commonly used in diesel trucks but also suitable for gasoline engines. The Shell diesel oils sold outside the US tend to be diesel specific.
Right, in one country Rotella is an oil; in another it is a chocolate flavored bread spread! :)

Just kidding!

Oil seems to be a very important subject, I've read so many threads on so many sites about it, and everybody seems to have his favorite. Nothing wrong with that as long as you don't use the wrong oil since you don't understand the difference between 10/30 and 20/50.

I agree with this guy, "Mad Dog" Earle, who wrote:

"Motorcyclists spend way too much time obsessing about which brand, type and weight of engine oil to use. There's only one answer to that question, and it's in your owner's manual.
I get a kick out of armchair mechanics who know better than BMW, Honda, Suzuki, etc. engineers when it comes to oil.
Look in the book, buy what they recommend and change it when they say. Case closed."

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/magnetic-drain-plug-oil-filter-magnet/

·
Registered
136 Posts
Agree with the comments about obsessing on oil. Although Honda recommended 10w40 for years, they have recently changed it to 10w30. Despite this, I noticed a 55 gal drum of 10w40 Yamalube Dino oil in the Honda dealership when my X was serviced several weeks ago at 1000k. The mechanic told me that unless a customer pays for full synthetic, this is what they use on all bikes.

Bottomline: use a decent oil that is SAE SG (or higher),or JASO T903, MA rated, non, "Energy Conserving" 10W30 oil and change it once per year or 8000 miles and your 500 will be happy, at least from an oil standpoint.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
I noticed the same thing at my dealer. A large drum of Honda 10w-40 and another drum of Castrol 20w-50, which they use on everything regardless of bike brand unless you specify otherwise and pay for the difference.

I use the stuff I do because it's the least expensive option that meets all the requirements. I use K&N filters because the use of a 17mm nut makes it easier on and off for me.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
It's not only what oil to use, it's also the frequency. Some change it every 1,000 or 2,000 miles!

It's like taking a shower every hour, it may make you a bit cleaner but it is not necessary.

My manual says the next oil change is due at 12,000km after the initial first one at 1,000km.

I changed it at 6,000km anyways, it doesn't cost me much and why not, if it makes me feel better.

But one shouldn't overdo things; use common sense.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I noticed the same thing at my dealer. A large drum of Honda 10w-40 and another drum of Castrol 20w-50, which they use on everything regardless of bike brand unless you specify otherwise and pay for the difference.
You'd like to think that if you pay for the good stuff that they give it to you!

I would'nt know if it was the Honda oil or the Castrol oil.

I'm not a very trusting person:grin

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
You'd like to think that if you pay for the good stuff that they give it to you!

I probably wasn't clear in the way I wrote that.

They give you either the 10w-40 or the 20w-50 depending on the oil grade your bike needs. I suspect that they buy whichever 10w-40 and 20w-50 they can get cheapest at any given time. They are a Honda, Suzuki and Triumph dealer and stock Honda and Suzuki branded oils, as well as the Castrol that Triumph "recommends" out on the retail shelves. But back in the shop it comes out of the big drum unless you ask for something special. (They also have Motul, which is definitely a special request!)

In my experience, most US dealerships are similar. They can't be forced to use one brand of consumable over another and especially in multi-brand dealerships you'll find them using one brand for everything.

Reactions: rozza

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
That's why I did my oil changes meself, in the US.

Here in Thailand I don't bother. I point to the bottle and that's what I get.

I just had the fork oil changed on my little Yamaha Nouvo 135 at a YAMAHA dealer after 40K km and paid $1.50 for 200ml of fork oil and $3,70 for labor, $5,20 total. :)
I make about $6,15/h after taxes.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Though I'm happy with the Honda dealer who did my 1K service, based on some of the horror stories here, it sounds like many motorcycle dealers attend the same business ethics classes as personal injury lawyers.

·
Registered
235 Posts
^^^^^ Yeah i'm one of those. A bit untrusting of people who do jobs that I cant prove if they did them. My bad.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Though I'm happy with the Honda dealer who did my 1K service, based on some of the horror stories here, it sounds like many motorcycle dealers attend the same business ethics classes as personal injury lawyers.
There's no such thing, they got cancelled because of low attendance. ;)

Travel agents come right after lawyers, I had to realize.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Probably gonna run the factory oil for the first 3-5 thousand miles or so, until the bike is 'broken in'. Then I'll switch out to Shell Rotella T6. I use that stuff in my car and when I had it, my Ninja 250r. Awesome stuff if you want to run 5W-40 in your bike/car.
I had high hopes for Rotella T6 5-40. I changed to T6 from whatever the dealer put in at my first service. On the plus side I can say that the shifts feel smoother and more positive. On the downside I feel as though there is more internal resistance when I spin up the engine--I can't cruise as easily either with the engine needing more throttle than usual to maintain speed. I have a feeling this more viscous oil will negatively impact my fuel economy.

It could be that summers are really mild here in San Diego with the average temp being 80 degrees. Maybe it's not hot enough right now to warrant a 40 weight at operating temp. I'm really hoping no damage will be done to the engine.

Ill be switching to Honda Synthetic HP4S 10-30 after this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I run my CBR only at the track so I use Repsol Racing 4T Full Synthetic 10W-40 with K&N filter. Oil changed every 4-5 track days.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
I just changed my oil with Mobil 1 10W40 Synthetic. Whether or not it's a true synthetic is beyond my caring, it's made a pretty big difference on my first ride today from the 10W30 Honda oil used at the 1k change. I'm at 4,300km and noticed the oil was a bit darker than I remember it should look so I picked up a filter and some oil.

Was a bit concerned, Honda figures I should have gone till 12,000km before my next change and it was already near black after only 3300km. I chalk it up to hot temps (35C+/95F+) and some hard going work with 2 up.

Going to watch this a little more closely and see how it looks after another 3,000km. Hopefully this won't look black, because I'd hate to have to spend another 15$/Litre on it.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
It won't look like honey for long!
Since it greases the surface where the combustion left lots of carbon it will turn dark within a few hundred miles.
That doesn't mean it's not doing its job for another few thousand miles or that there's reason to worry.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Should I be concerned if the oil was foaming on top after a long ride, or a cruise up the highway 2 up? That was the main reason for my change, I didn't think foaming oil was normal. I forgot to mention that in my previous post, but aside from the darker than I thought normal (but turns out makes sense) oil, it was foaming after almost any extended ride beyond the 10km to work.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Excessive foam could mean you got too much oil in the crank case and that is definitely something to be concerned about.
A few bubbles on top is normal.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts