Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyones brand preference for engine oil.

I am loyal to Motul and Amsoil myself.

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
The best by far of course hands down and it world know is motul, they are huge in the motorcycle industry and made their way to auto racing as well. Thats my first choice second is Amsoil and third is Redline. And if you want to go all the way to fourth Lucas oils makes some good stuff too.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I use Repsol dino sludge in my Nighthawk, but for our CBR250R we just buy from the dealer. I will likely do the same for the 500.

·
Senior Knee Dragger
286 Posts
If you cant make a choice, you cant go wrong with oem oils from your local powerhouse.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Probably gonna run the factory oil for the first 3-5 thousand miles or so, until the bike is 'broken in'. Then I'll switch out to Shell Rotella T6. I use that stuff in my car and when I had it, my Ninja 250r. Awesome stuff if you want to run 5W-40 in your bike/car.

·
Registered
223 Posts
All good oils !

I'd consider T6 5w40 but the book calls for 10w30

Most important is to keep that oil clean :)

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Then I'll switch out to Shell Rotella T.
Your camshaft will thank you!

Rotella T is good stuff. Motul is good stuff too.
I usually run Honda HP oils in my bikes. Been using HP2 and HP trans oil in my 250 2-stroke MX bike.
Runs like a swiss watch, never had a problem.

Maxima is supposed to be good too.

If you live in a hot climate, you can run 15w-40.
15w-40 Rotella would be good for it.
10w-30 is perfect for more moderate to cooler temps.

Any of the top-tier oils would be just fine for these bikes.
The CBR500's don't rev hard. Parts should last longer.
;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
All good oils !

I'd consider T6 5w40 but the book calls for 10w30

Most important is to keep that oil clean :)
I'm probably just speaking for myself here, but I'm one of those lunatics that doesn't put the bike away when it gets cold outside. I'm usually riding all the way through November and some of December, and by February/March of the next year I'm getting the bike ready for regular use. Conversely, I don't do so much summer 90-100 degree weather. Just can't stand the ultra hot furnace weather. I'm not exactly an expert here, but from my limited reading and information, it seems like cooler-weather calls for a lower W viscosity, so something like 0Wx or 5Wx would be better for the latter parts of the season.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
cooler-weather calls for a lower W viscosity, so something like 0Wx or 5Wx would be better for the latter parts of the season.
You are correct. Oil viscosity has a temperature range.
If you are going to ride in very cold weather, you can run a slightly thinner oil.
Be sure to let the bike warm up good before you take-off.

I think 5w-20 would be the thinnest I would go. And only if I were riding in super cold weather. Otherwise, I would just stick with 10w-30.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You are correct. Oil viscosity has a temperature range.
If you are going to ride in very cold weather, you can run a slightly thinner oil.
Be sure to let the bike warm up good before you take-off.

I think 5w-20 would be the thinnest I would go. And only if I were riding in super cold weather. Otherwise, I would just stick with 10w-30.
Hm, I wonder if I'd be better off running 0W-30 in the bike after its ready for synthetic. I rarely do any summer riding, only once or twice a week. Most of the time I'm out is daily riding for March-June, a little July and August, and then most of September through early December. I typically let the bike warm up for five or ten seconds, then I get off to a gentle start around town before getting to highway speeds.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Hm, I wonder if I'd be better off running 0W-30 in the bike after its ready for synthetic. I rarely do any summer riding, only once or twice a week. Most of the time I'm out is daily riding for March-June, a little July and August, and then most of September through early December. I typically let the bike warm up for five or ten seconds, then I get off to a gentle start around town before getting to highway speeds.
I'm not a fan of 0w. ( 0w is "energy-saving" oil. Not "parts saving" oil. )

And you need to let it warm up way longer than 10 seconds.
( On your first ride of the day. )

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm not a fan of 0w. ( 0w is "energy-saving" oil. Not "parts saving" oil. )

And you need to let it warm up way longer than 10 seconds.
( On your first ride of the day. )
Interesting, all good information, I will have to keep that in mind for my next oil change! (And the next time I warm up the bike)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I ended up springing for the Honda HP4S 10w30 synthetic stuff.. $11 a quart times 3, and then another 12 for the filter. Ouch. Changing the oil in my Mustang is cheaper, and it takes twice as much oil :p

·
Registered
565 Posts
Great fan of Motul here too (ordered 10w-30 so I can do a 300mile change).

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
I m using also honda syntethic oil. I think they call it g4 here. Pretty good stuff made in japan. 30 usd for 3 liters i paid and it made the bike flying.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Has anyone used Valvoline or Halvoline 10w40 oil for their break in? I'm around 200miles and I want to change my oil to get those metal shavings out, and from this guide of break in hard, it says to use mineral oil. Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

From the forum, it looks like Shell rotella or Motul seems like a good choice after proper break in.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
So much misinformation in that article that I had to repost this for about the 50th time. There are a few minor updates needed, like the fact that there are now 10w-30 motorcycle oils that did not exist when it was written.

All About Motor Oil
Thanks for this.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts