Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine management light is staying on and the code is 81-6 Bad power to instrument panel.Has anyone had a problem like this and can help cheers

·
Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
1,235 Posts
Back when I had my 2014 I had this -- along with an IP that displayed nonsense periodically -- and it was traced to a bad starter relay (specifically, the contacts for the main fuse within that relay.) I believe there was a recall for those relays. If your bike it older, check to see if the recall has been done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back when I had my 2014 I had this -- along with an IP that displayed nonsense periodically -- and it was traced to a bad starter relay (specifically, the contacts for the main fuse within that relay.) I believe there was a recall for those relays. If your bike it older, check to see if the recall has been done.
Cheers Blackfin bike and engine runs fine Honda at Bournemouth couldn’t find anything wrong they said it “could” be the cluster but at £500 and no return.I have borrowed a cluster and it shows the same fault.Only thing not working properly the 24 hr time clock resets to 1pm every time you ride it 😩

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Cheers Blackfin bike and engine runs fine Honda at Bournemouth couldn’t find anything wrong they said it “could” be the cluster but at £500 and no return.I have borrowed a cluster and it shows the same fault.Only thing not working properly the 24 hr time clock resets to 1pm every time you ride it 😩
That suggests constant power to the cluster is absent or intermittent. This comes through the 30A main fuse (without being switched by the ignition switch).

Open fuse box '1' and check the "CLOCK/TURN" 7.5A fuse. If the fuse isn't blown, check both sides of the fuse terminals for voltage (fuse populated.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That suggests constant power to the cluster is absent or intermittent. This comes through the 30A main fuse (without being switched by the ignition switch).

Open fuse box '1' and check the "CLOCK/TURN" 7.5A fuse. If the fuse isn't blown, check both sides of the fuse terminals for voltage (fuse populated.)
Good morning checked fuses all ok,removed fuse block and checked terminals from underneath two wires coming out from one side (red and white)and showing 12 volts.No wires on the other side,not sure if the connection is made inside the block 🤔

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Good morning checked fuses all ok,removed fuse block and checked terminals from underneath two wires coming out from one side (red and white)and showing 12 volts.No wires on the other side,not sure if the connection is made inside the block 🤔
OK, the two R/W wires are the output side of the fuse (one R/W goes to the dash, the other to the flasher relay) and you've established you have constant power here; so far so good.

Are you able to disconnect the dash, find the R/W in the harness-side connector and check for 12V there?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, the two R/W wires are the output side of the fuse (one R/W goes to the dash, the other to the flasher relay) and you've established you have constant power here; so far so good.

Are you able to disconnect the dash, find the R/W in the harness-side connector and check for 12V there?
You are a bloody star followed your advice took off the headlight unit and noticed a nick in the wiring loom and there it was a cut red and white wire.repaired and no more light on and all working.Two hrs at Honda,one hr at local shop another display from eBay total £400.and you my friend pointed me in the direction for nothing.Thanks again to you and the forum😄👍Ps HISS flashing when I turn ignition off🤔

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
That's great news!

HISS flashing when I turn ignition off
re HISS: You can fiddle with HISS flashing setting if you walk through the dash menu settings. You get to the menu by pressing and holding the SEL and SET buttons. I think you go to the clock setting screen first. Press SET to navigate clock -> backlight brightness -> trip meter setting -> HISS indicator and then press SEL.

Pressing the SEL button toggles the blink On or Off. Select whichever you want and press SET.

Then press SET enough times to get back to the normal screen.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's great news!

re HISS: You can fiddle with HISS flashing setting if you walk through the dash menu settings. You get to the menu by pressing and holding the SEL and SET buttons. I think you go to the clock setting screen first. Press SET to navigate clock -> backlight brightness -> trip meter setting -> HISS indicator and then press SEL.

Pressing the SEL button toggles the blink On or Off. Select whichever you want and press SET.

Then press SET enough times to get back to the normal screen.

Cheers!
Thank you 👍

1 - 9 of 9 Posts