Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So a bunch of rats chewed up wires on my 2014 honda cbr500r abs. I tried looking at the manual and online to see what it is called no luck. In the first pic I point at 4 relays on the right that I cant find information about. Then the next photo it the connection where the rats bit the wires I have no idea if that connection it to the lights or what I tried testing it out to see what went off or not but no clue. I need my bike to get to work and back.

Attachments

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hello mate, sorry for your misfortune. Unfortunately I'm on mobile at the moment, so cannot get to my pc to see the pictures large enough to diagnose the issue.
In the meantime search the forum for "service manual" - you'll find the electrical diagram of the bike in that document. Knowing the color code of the wires you'll be able to diagnose the circuits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello mate, sorry for your misfortune. Unfortunately I'm on mobile at the moment, so cannot get to my pc to see the pictures large enough to diagnose the issue.
In the meantime search the forum for "service manual" - you'll find the electrical diagram of the bike in that document. Knowing the color code of the wires you'll be able to diagnose the circuits.
Thanks man I'll look that up right now

·
Registered
97 Posts
I first would cut back an inch or so of the black plastic tubing that holds each "gang" of wires on either side of the chewed areas. This will allow you to assess properly which wires fully have been severed by the wretched rodents and which merely may be lightly damaged and also which may have been unscathed.

Undoubtedly, some (many?) of the chewed-through wires will have enough length on either side of the break to allow the ends to be spliced together with short sections of same gauge wires perhaps an inch or two long, then covered individually with heat shrink tubing. This will effect a permanent repair if done properly. Use electricians tape on those wires suffering only a bit of nibbling on the plastic insulation.

If the worst has happened, where the severance of wires is very close to a connector, leaving no room for splicing in a new section of wire, then you'd likely have to buy a new section of wiring harness. Short of this, if you are fortunate enough to be near a bike salvage yard or a dealership, you likely can buy a new or undamaged section of wiring harness.

It's hard to be certain from your photos just how bad the damage is.

A last suggestion: If a wire is severed too close to a connector to allow splicing, you can always run a splice which bypasses the connector and rejoins the same color-coded wire on the other side of the connector. Not my first choice, but certainly seems workable and could get you back on the road much more quickly than ordering a new harness section and having to pull the tank and other components to replace the original harness section with it. Others please comment.

Certainly, a call to your dealer for advice is not necessarily a bad idea. His employees likely are skilled enough to replace badly damaged sections of the wiring harness rather quickly even if new sections of harness need to be ordered. Certainly, you'd want to replace sections of the harness as a last resort.

This is an interesting and important thread, so please follow up through the entire repair process. We can all learn from this.

Ralph

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cut off the wire right now the other isn't as severe. But one is black and blue the other is black and white .they are located under the tank . My bike is also having issues when I click any electrical component on . The relay will click insanely. I'm hoping the wires are the problem as I checked every other connection and wire .
I first would cut back an inch or so of the black plastic tubing that holds each "gang" of wires on either side of the chewed areas. This will allow you to assess properly which wires fully have been severed by the wretched rodents and which merely may be lightly damaged and also which may have been unscathed.

Undoubtedly, some (many?) of the chewed-through wires will have enough length on either side of the break to allow the ends to be spliced together with short sections of same gauge wires perhaps an inch or two long, then covered individually with heat shrink tubing. This will effect a permanent repair if done properly. Use electricians tape on those wires suffering only a bit of nibbling on the plastic insulation.

If the worst has happened, where the severance of wires is very close to a connector, leaving no room for splicing in a new section of wire, then you'd likely have to buy a new section of wiring harness. Short of this, if you are fortunate enough to be near a bike salvage yard or a dealership, you likely can buy a new or undamaged section of wiring harness.

It's hard to be certain from your photos just how bad the damage is.

A last suggestion: If a wire is severed too close to a connector to allow splicing, you can always run a splice which bypasses the connector and rejoins the same color-coded wire on the other side of the connector. Not my first choice, but certainly seems workable and could get you back on the road much more quickly than ordering a new harness section and having to pull the tank and other components to replace the original harness section with it. Others please comment.

Certainly, a call to your dealer for advice is not necessarily a bad idea. His employees likely are skilled enough to replace badly damaged sections of the wiring harness rather quickly even if new sections of harness need to be ordered. Certainly, you'd want to replace sections of the harness as a last resort.

This is an interesting and important thread, so please follow up through the entire repair process. We can all learn from this.

Ralph

·
Registered
599 Posts
I know that your problem is serious to you so please forgive me with the following happening.

I used to work at the R & D department of a large corp. which sold home components retail through dealers.

The company had a 'trade-in' policy that if one of our machines failed for any reason, that the company would give a generous discount towards the purchase of a new machine. The company would take all the old "trade-ins" and be sure they were destroyed. I doing so, on one of the returns, when they opened up the cover there was a tree frog that had gotten in there and one of his "feet" was on one hot terminal, and the other of his "feet" was on the ground terminal. He got electrocuted on the spot and it had caused the unit to fail.

Quite bizzare!

I genuinely hope you get yours fixed.

I would think that if you carefully match up each nibbled-on wire with it's appropriate color-coded match, you could re-solder them together. If you do so, however, be sure to disconnect the battery so there is no juice at all to the system that could cause an electronic component to short or burn out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
where are you located, if you are anywhere near Princeton (north of Dallas) and can get the bike to me, I can repair the wires (correctly!!) and have you running an hour or so (at no cost), I have all the required tools and like to help people out when I can.

My phone number is 972 eight three two 96 zero two if you want to discuss anything.

Regards Gary

·
Registered
293 Posts
where are you located, if you are anywhere near Princeton (north of Dallas) and can get the bike to me, I can repair the wires (correctly!!) and have you running an hour or so (at no cost), I have all the required tools and like to help people out when I can.

My phone number is 972 eight three two 96 zero two if you want to discuss anything.

Regards Gary

Thats very nice,it just shows what a nice site this is.:beers

Plasma1

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really appreciate that man sorry for the late reply just came down with the flu . I solder the wires back together . ( I would have taken your awesome offer but I stay all the way in California , unfortunately. I'm still having electrical issues as it seems my bike sometimes turns on the whole cluster but other times only the abs sign illuminates. Very confused since I know nothing about what could cause that.

Regards Gary

1 - 9 of 9 Posts