Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm interested if you can get things sorted out. As far as you know what can be altered? IAP and TPS maps? What about ignition timing and rev limiter?

And more importantly how long would it take or would you create a new map and install it on the ECU? Let me know how things work out and I may get my hands on a used ecu and send it to you. I found their not that expensive.
There are generally 2 types of tunables in the ECU, maps and settings. All of the maps are super easy to identify, they start midway through the file and are one after another. At the very least there will be IAP and TPS fuel maps, and ignition timing map, maybe injector balance map. The settings are the things like speed limiters, disabling fuel cut off on decel, etc, these are harder to find as they require the ability the disassemble the bin and follow assembly code around to reverse engineer. This is the part that I am still learning to do myself. Creating a definition file that exposes all the maps will only take a few hours. I have no idea how long it will take me to learn how to create the settings patches. The flashing process itself only takes 40 minutes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So just some updates. I got my Python code doing successful writes and I can do the writes about 8x faster than anticipated. Flashing only takes about 5 min. The read is still pretty slow. Anyway, I started porting my Python code over to C++ so I could make windows binaries and in the process screwed up the flash on my last good test ECU. So, now I have to work out the back door recovery process via the test pads. With that being said, I could use more test ECUs and if anyone wants to buy a used 500r ECU on ebay and have it shipped to my house that would help me resume finishing up the new code base as well as start creating a definition file for these ECUs.

·
Super Moderator
718 Posts
Great work, thanks for the heads up - it is great to see that you're progressing with this.

I'm currently using a Power Commander V and and a WB2, and would look for the possibility to remove both and run the stock ecu only.
So for me the important features would be fuel and ignition mapping, extended rev limiter, possibility to run 13.8 AFR in closed loop instead of 14.7, reduced throttle jerk by modified fuel cutoff. Modification of radiator fan temp and fual injector balancing could be beneficial for some too.

PM me your postal address, and I'll look into getting a cbr or CB500x ecu to you.

·
Super Moderator
718 Posts
@PuffTheMagic Any update on this project?
Also if someone does does not have the tools or time to build an interface, woukd it be possible to wire up a 16pin standard OBD connector ti the honda dlc and use a commercially available obd2 programming interface?
Why I'm asking is on an another forum someone reported ro be able to use this dlc to obd2 connector (https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Honda-4pin-OBD2-Adaptor) with an elm327 to read real time diagnostic data such as rpm, temperatures etc. on a "secondary dashboard" made with a torque app running on an android phone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
@PuffTheMagic Any update on this project?
Also if someone does does not have the tools or time to build an interface, woukd it be possible to wire up a 16pin standard OBD connector ti the honda dlc and use a commercially available obd2 programming interface?
Why I'm asking is on an another forum someone reported ro be able to use this dlc to obd2 connector (https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Honda-4pin-OBD2-Adaptor) with an elm327 to read real time diagnostic data such as rpm, temperatures etc. on a "secondary dashboard" made with a torque app running on an android phone.
Here are some updates... I am fairly confident in the stability of my reading/writing software. I gave up on a C++ port because the code was so slow compared to my Python code (so many optimizations in Python). Anyway, I have Appveyor automatically generating windows .exe builds out of my Python code now. Once I tag a commit as an official release the build will get uploaded to the releases section of my github page. If you are testing this on Windows, with either the binary or the python code, you will need to use the libusbK driver which is installable via the Zadig app (google it). The program is still command line but it works well.

I've started officially doing mail-in tuning/flashing on the 1000rr and 600rr, here is a link my business page on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/PuffTheMagicEngineering).

I still need someone to create the adapter on my page and dump their ECU or send me an ECU so I can start working on a definition file.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will be following this as I suspect you may find some things that haven't been found. I will also be contacting the aforementioned Dynobike reflasher. I know he has done some work on my other bike(MT07) for people and has had positive results. I am in Australia otherwise I would see if I could help directly with your project.
I have a laptop in the workshop. I have an IT background, but not a lot of automotive electronics experience. If you can contact me ( I will pm you) with instructions I am able to do, I can do tthe dump for you. I am retired so have plenty of time. And some basic level electronics abilities and knoiwledge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good job with the definitions!

For the interfacing circuit I have been thinking of the cheap EBAY OBD adapters that use Bluetooth for communications to PC or smartphone. But because of the custom Honda protocol in the K-line it would require custom firmware to the adapter. There is some research done for that, for example (github pfalcon/blutunode) but building the FW is not so straightforward... The nice thing with this approach would be very low cost and ready made HW for interfacing the K-line.

I have made my own BLE adapter from 'Ruuvitag' and I also investigated how to use the cheapest possible BLE adapters. But these need custom interfacing to the K-line (which is not complicated though, but still extra work...).

Reference to my github project if somebody is interested (github atoid/DashBle).

However for the ECU flashing it might be best to stick with hard wiring, no wireless link involved :smile:

·
Super Moderator
718 Posts
Bluetooth is to be avoided for ecu flash management.

A simple WagCom cable what supports Kline comms and uses an FTDI inteface chip will work though.

Just received mine yesterday, and already got rhe flash content downloaded from both bikes o' mine (500f and 500x)

Still quite a bit to go until we'll have an usable flash, but so far it's promising

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, that is good to hear that standard cable can be used. If ECU is flashed does it affect the HISS system? Do the keys need to be coded again or is it a separate system in the ECU?

·
Super Moderator
718 Posts
Ok, that is good to hear that standard cable can be used. If ECU is flashed does it affect the HISS system? Do the keys need to be coded again or is it a separate system in the ECU?
Nope, reflash should not affect hiss or key coding. It would change specific parameters (e.g. rev limit, ignition and fueling maps) in the program.

The standard cable needs some extra attention to connect to the oem DLC connector, but it is not a big deal.

·
Super Moderator
718 Posts
Ryan's (Puffthemagic) software works.
My 2016 cb500x runs on the firmware of the 16 500f what is slightly different in duel mapping.
More to come after the bin files had been cracked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm a new owner of a CB500F 2017 from France, and I'm interested of tuning this ecu. I have 8 years of chiptuning background, but never done a motorbike before... I have one question : someone have tried to tune this ecu ? Is there checksum correction ? Thank to everyone and to PuffTheMagic for provides such useful datas !

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm a new owner of a CB500F 2017 from France, and I'm interested of tuning this ecu. I have 8 years of chiptuning background, but never done a motorbike before... I have one question : someone have tried to tune this ecu ? Is there checksum correction ? Thank to everyone and to PuffTheMagic for provides such useful datas !
Hit me up on facebook, much easier to chat there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey folks, what's up with the ecu reflash work? No "PuffTheMagicEngineering" at Facebook to query.

Can I obtain the software, interface, etc & do it myself?

My 2019 CB500X has too-much ignition advance in the 1500-2200rpm range with 10-20% throttle. Very noticeable in 1st & 2nd gears. Try holding a steady 1800rpm in 1st gear. Good luck. Too responsive! And I also tested it in 3rd gear pulling a moderately-steep hill at 2200rpm and can easily make the motor ping with a little throttle. Too-advanced ignition down there! :-(

I may do exhaust & intake later, but right now I want to smooth the bottom end of this motor.

Any help or links to the right place would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Catfish ...

PS: I have experience dyno-tuning + remapping older Aprilia Caponord ECUs with TuneBoy & TuneECU. And used PCV to tune an FZ07 and then FtECU to burn the oem FZ07 ecu. Since I can't post any links yet, Google "catfish caponord ecu" & "catfish fz07 ecu" to see what I have done previously. :)

·
Super Moderator
718 Posts
Hello Catfish,
Welcome to the club. Ryan went from open source to subscription model as far as I know, you can find him as MCU Innovations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for reference to MCU I... :)

He does not support the 2019s yet, but he did say "yet". So I'm hopeful he will get to it eventually.

I see you have been tuning CB500s with a PCV. I may resort to this if its the only custom mapping option available.

Thanks again,

Catfish ...

·
Super Moderator
718 Posts
Yup, 19 bikes have a completely new ecu, what uses can communication instead of the k-line used on previous models.
Guess it'll take some time.
I prefer ecu flash over the PCV, but it will do fine on the 19 models for the time being.
A forum member used Rapidbike Evo to tune his modified cbr500. Might worth a try.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.