Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll be picking up my first motorcycle ever tomorrow (I’m 36, be gentle lol).

I got a great deal on a barely ridden CB500F. Looking at this gem I can’t help but see a smaller adventure bike waiting to come out! I know the make an “x”, but, could a fellow get a separate set of rims for for knobbies, and switch them up when he wants to run some backroads??

Anyone done this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Adventure, in my book, is going to far away places with inappropriate equipment. I say install some dual sport tires and hit the dirt. If you find you like it make your next bike an ADV.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Short answer: Sure, try it.

My story in a longer answer: I bought my F 5 years ago, and it has been a great bike. I tried to make it fit a dual purpose role, purchasing Rally Raid's level 1 kit, wheels, and bits. I envisioned having TKC80s on the spoked rims, street tires on the stock rims and being able to swap. It was a good plan, but I found the more aggressive seating position and overall geometry just not quite right for dirt and off-road riding. Even touring or long days started giving me pinches and pains. I found a used X at a decent used price last year. I swapped all of the RR stuff onto it, and now it serves the ADV and longer rides role. It is different from the F. Surprisingly so. I still have the F. I use it as my commuter, and for shorter rides with friends.

Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Absolutely SPOT ON! So many of my best memories are being caught in a situation, under equipped, unprepared, and finding a way to overcome.

The aggressive looks and seating on this bike are what kind of sold me on it. I can also see where it would be a hinderance trying to navigate some different terrain.

Excited is an understatement right now. It’s an hour ride home from the dealership and I can’t wait to hop on and bring her home.

Appreciate the advice! I may just have to grab an X too when I find one nearby. I got into my 15’ F for $3900 and only 2100 miles. She’s not even broke in yet.

I do want to add some bags, or maybe just a tank bag for now. I’ll do some shopping for those.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Please include your general location on your profile. Always an interesting bit of info. Good luck. I ride my F on gravel & dirt roads when needs be but no real “adventure” stuff. Street tires can manage more than you think. For an all around adventure bike I would probably pick up a Kawa 650 KLR. Plenty of them on Craig’s cheap. Seems like a hassle to switch out wheels when you could mount something appropriate instead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts