Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I know this is only a small thing but it really annoys me. Does anyone know how the have both headlights running on a low beam circuit. I don't want to go the HID path, just improve the look so I don't always look like I have a blown globe.
I there are some aftermarket kits for other bikes but I am yet to find a supplier for the 500R.
Any advice would be appreciated. I can't even find a wiring diagram for the bike. I would love to get my hands on a workshop manual.
Cheers.

·
Registered
143 Posts
the issue here is that the actual reflectors are typically different shape. one for projecting high beam, and one for low. It's not just reliant on filament location. But if you run a low power bulb in the highbeam housing you may be able to get away with it.

The next difficulty is that dual filament bulbs have a different base on them. H4 bulbs are the closest match to the H7 (stock) and they can be made to fit with some careful trimming with a dremmel.

As the h4 bulb has an extra pin on the back (for the extra filament) you need to replace the stock plug and and run a wire from the low beam over to the other side.

H7 style (stock plug)

H4 style (extra pin)

bulb trim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, so far the clearest explanation that I have come across. To be honest I didn't think it would have been that much work...turns out I was wrong!

I guess I will have to get access to the headlight and wiring and see if its worth the effort.

Not sure if anyone knows but do the bikes in LHD countries run the low beam on the opposite side? If that was the case you could order a reflector from there and swap it over. I know that head lights on cars have to be directed in different directions depending on what side of the road they drive on so as not to dazzle on coming traffic?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Not sure if anyone knows but do the bikes in LHD countries run the low beam on the opposite side? If that was the case you could order a reflector from there and swap it over. I know that head lights on cars have to be directed in different directions depending on what side of the road they drive on so as not to dazzle on coming traffic?
I was wondering the same thing.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Picking mine up this week, will let you know about the LHD high beam.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Aren't y'all all in OZ? Gonna have the same setup, no?

FYI,
In the US, we are RHT,LHD.
My low beam is on the right side.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Might have to check parts lists, then, to see if the reflectors are different, as my beams (the photons; I didn't inspect the reflector or the bulb) go off to the right of center.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Thanks for the info, so far the clearest explanation that I have come across. To be honest I didn't think it would have been that much work...turns out I was wrong!

I guess I will have to get access to the headlight and wiring and see if its worth the effort.

I might be a little slow, if so I'm sorry. But are you thinking of having two low beams then, and no high beam? And still, the low beam reflector, won't it be adjusted to throw the light the wrong way?

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
I might be a little slow, if so I'm sorry. But are you thinking of having two low beams then, and no high beam? And still, the low beam reflector, won't it be adjusted to throw the light the wrong way?
Steffenleikvold is correct. Best thing you can do at the moment is place a running light into the high beam housing for the time being.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I think the idea is to have two low-beams, and two-high-beams. Just like a car.
So the idea would be to rig-up both reflector buckets the same, and align them the same on both sides.
The stator should be able to handle one more low-beam light, right?

I don't have my bike yet, but this seems like an easy thing to do, unless the right and left sides are very different from each other.
( Nothing a Dremel tool and some JB Weld can't fix! )

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I think the idea is to have two low-beams, and two-high-beams. Just like a car.
So the idea would be to rig-up both reflector buckets the same, and align them the same on both sides.
The stator should be able to handle one more low-beam light, right?

I don't have my bike yet, but this seems like an easy thing to do, unless the right and left sides are very different from each other.
( Nothing a Dremel tool and some JB Weld can't fix! )
So the low beam light is the same as on cars with a H4 bulb, shifting between low and high, having the other light as one extra high with a H7 bulb?

Not one low beam reflector with a H7 bulb, and one high beam reflector with another H7 bulb? That was what I thought. I guess I can see for my self tomorrow on my bike. :)

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
So the low beam light is the same as on cars with a H4 bulb, shifting between low and high, having the other light as one extra high with a H7 bulb?

Not one low beam reflector with a H7 bulb, and one high beam reflector with another H7 bulb? That was what I thought. I guess I can see for my self tomorrow on my bike. :)
Yup. Two H7 bulbs as suspected with customized housing, one for low and one for high (just as Old Dog suggested). If you want dual low + dual high you'll need to rebuild the entire setup. :(

Hard to see any other quick solution for dual lows other than Old Dogs original suggestion. Even that one can/will cause you problems with the light direction. You could put a resistance on it to lower the light strenght, but then it will probably look a little funny (but maybe better than no light).

To be honest I would not try to do a quick fix. I don't know if you have to have the bike for annual inspection, but in which case it will never pass either way. Pay a professional to rebuild the whole thing or let it go. ;)

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I will just leave it the way it is. I don't want to waste time re-engineering the whole thing.
I have other mods to do, anywayz.
I agree. It's annoying with the one light, but on the other side, do you really want to mess with it too much? If it was an old wreck I'd say go for it, drill a **** hole and stick a light bulb in it. But it's your baby. :)

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
You could retrofit two HID projectors. They negate the reflectors all together, so you could black them out too.
Kinda like this:

·
Registered
262 Posts
A simple solution might be to run with the high beam on all the time and use the adjusters to aim the high beam lower and away from the oncoming traffic. You wouldn't have a high beam for seeing far down the road but it would give two low beams and might be fine if you rarely need the high beam.

Reactions: StillTK

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Picking mine up this week, will let you know about the LHD high beam.
Have had it for almost a week and only last night remembered to have a look.
In Australia the right lamp is city light and the left is high beam.
Hope that helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts