Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, got distracted and dropped bike in garage, very slow motion drop till the weight became unbearable and had to let it go. :crying:

Two damages: 1) Left side foot peg snapped off. 2) Bent gear changer lever.

See attached image. So need help in fixing those two, part numbers? do I need to change entire Metal plate or just foot peg? Steps if possible? How to take off gear lever from the connecting rod? Should I change lever or try to fix it by unbending it? any other help be highly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Stuff happens. Better in the garage than on the street!
Looks to me like you'll only need to replace the peg. The mount looks fine.
This is a great excuse to get some less bulky/heavy footpegs if you want:
http://www.cbr500riders.com/forum/appearance-body/1215-aftermarket-foot-pegs.html
PSR SBK Footpegs BMW S1000RR / S1000R / Honda - RevZilla
The set is like 30-40 USD.
Or, just get the base of the stock peg, the part that broke for about 8.26 USD. Here's the number for the 2013.
ARM, L. STEP (COO)
50642-MGZ-305
$8.26
Double check by going to the parts fiche yourself by looking at the "Step" page for the correct model at:
Honda Motorcycle OEM Parts, CyclePartsNation Honda Parts Nation

Replacement is easy! Remove the cotter pin from the end of the footrest hinge pin. Try to keep the cotter pin in good condition for comparison and also in case you can't find a new one nearby.
Buy an assortment of cotter pins from your local auto parts store (I only re-use them if I absolutely have to).
Pull the hinge pin out, noting first how the spring is arranged.
Insert the new or repaired (refer the the parts diagram to see how it's put together and also to see if there are other parts in the footrest that broke) footrest, making sure to put the spring back the way it was. I use white lithium grease around the hinge pin.

As for the shifter, just remove the gearshift pivot bolt (number 10 on the "Pedal" page of the parts fiche) to make sure it isn't bent. With the shift pedal off, try to bend it back out into shape while it's still attached to the shift rod if possible (without bending the shift rod; number 11 on the "Pedal" page). If you have to take the shifter off, use some white-out or something to mark where the shift rod lock nuts (number 12 and 16) are located on the shift rod. Loosen those, then turn the shift rod until it comes out of its joints (you'll need one wrench for the lock nut and one for the elbow - look under the rubber dust cover). Pay attention to (or mark) the shift rod's top and bottom; the shift rod has left hand threads at its top (mark just the top lock nut or something). After you've got the shifter bent back out (or replaced), put the shift rod ends in place and turn the shift rod, getting both ends threaded into the top and bottom joints simultaneously. Keep turning it until you have things lined up as you did before using your white-out marks. Tightening the lock nuts can be a bit of a pain, as the shift rod wants to turn, too, but if you can pinch it a little with your fingers while also holding your two wrenches (one for the elbow and one for the lock nut) you'll get it straight after a few tries.

Good luck!

Reactions: sashsania

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Natrix - you rock! Many thanks man. I will hunt down parts today and let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ebay is your best friend :)

My bike was in a cat d crash and the parts brand new from honda were about 2-3x the price of what they were on ebay from people who make a living of buying brand new bikes and breaking them down for parts.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Natrix and all, the bike is fixed now. Getting parts quickly was most painful but putting them togather was preety easy. Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts