Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anybody know what is the size of the drive chain lock nut? I accidentally stripped the nut, and am looking to purchase another lock nut from Home Depot or Lowe's. I know I can come in with the nut, but I'd be worried I'm going to screw up the alignment on my bike doing so. (Last and only time I did a chain adjustment, it took me 3+ hours to figure everything out) It would be awesome if somebody already knows the size, so I don't have to worry about removing the nut, and putting it back on when going to Home Depot in the next week.

I don't need the size for a wrench, because it's 12mm (maybe it's not even metric, which explains why the 12mm wrench doesn't hold onto the nut so easily) Previous owner may have changed out the nuts, because my service manual says it's 6mm, not 12. But 11mm doesn't fit, 12mm does.

Image for reference.

This is a 2014 Honda CBR500Ra

Attachments

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The nuts on your chain adjusters are 12mm and 14mm, iirc.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Could your service manual be referring to the nuts inside diameter being 6mm? I'd recommend staying with OEM nuts and bolts since the hardness of them is determined with torque specs for their application. Random, generic nuts/bolts may have a different hardness and composition. May look the same, but are not always.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I like to online order OEM rather than the box stores because you pick the part out from a drawing of that area of your bike. You know it will be the correct part. Many companies offer Honda OEM parts online.

For parts this cheap, less than a dollar, the real cost is the shipping. I try to order all my dinged up OEM parts at once.

A company I have used with reasonable shipping is
www.rockymountainatvmc.com

Removing the lock nut will not change your axle alignment as long as the axle nuts are not loosened (you can check they are tightened to the 65 ft-lb spec). If you want to ride the bike without the nut, you should probably remove both nuts so the inner one can't fall off and cause you another trip to the box store.

Hint on chain slack adjusting
I hammer a block of soft pine wood against the axle hex heads to move a partly loosened rear axle forward if I accidently tighten the nuts too much. loosen each adjuster nut 1/6 turn and lock in place, hammer on both sides until both adjusters are snug against the swingarm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts