Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanted to colour the pillion sets and belly pan black.

So, I used a bit of plasti-dip......
Don't eat me guys. I know everyone hates the stuff. But I think this turned out ok. I wasn't keen on paying to have these parts powdercoated, especially since rocks and whatnot can chip the belly pan and expose the aluminium underneath. So yeah, I plastidipped this time.
Honestly I think this looks great.

I'm planning on changing the rear sets once there's more options.

·
Registered
143 Posts
looks good, but as i'm sure you're aware that plastidip probably wont hold up to the stone chips. But at least gives you an idea on what it would look like painted.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
The pillion-peg brackets look nice black.
You have no oil showing in your sight-glass window!
( I know it's on the side-stand.... but that empty window makes me nervous. )

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looks good, but as i'm sure you're aware that plastidip probably wont hold up to the stone chips. But at least gives you an idea on what it would look like painted.
Yeah I know. But powdercoating is just so expensive here. I can live with having to retouch it.
Plastidip isn't the most amazing stuff, but it's doing this job well.

Looks great mate. What did you do exactly? How do you get these plastic dipped?
Plastidip is a rubber spray. Here's an example of it being used on car emblems.

Naturally, a powdercoat is MUCH better. But this is a low cost option with higher maintenance. Gives you a good idea of how it will look painted/coated.
If you're in Australia you can order online from Caswell or get them from AutoBarn. They're cheap as **** in the US. Something like $7-10 a can. Here they're around $30 because they can't be shipped by air (apparently?)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Looks fantastic. I've been waiting for someone to do this as I couldn't stand the way the belly pan/exhaust heat shield was silver when the rest was black.

How many coats did you put on? Can we have some more pics showing the whole bike I want to see how it blends in with the rest of the black colour.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Won't the heat cause an issue too .. does look good though!!

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks fantastic. I've been waiting for someone to do this as I couldn't stand the way the belly pan/exhaust heat shield was silver when the rest was black.

How many coats did you put on? Can we have some more pics showing the whole bike I want to see how it blends in with the rest of the black colour.
I put about seven light coats on. But I decided to do the inside too, and I just went crazy with it and gave it one heavy coat. AND IT TURNED OUT SMOOTHER AND BETTER THAN THE SEVEN COATS ON THE SIDE YOU CAN SEE! That pissed me off a bit, so much effort taking my time and keeping it light and even, and it doesn't compare to the single heavy coat.
I'll upload a picture when the sun is up and I have time.

Won't the heat cause an issue too .. does look good though!!
What Iddo said.

The pillion-peg brackets look nice black.
You have no oil showing in your sight-glass window!
( I know it's on the side-stand.... but that empty window makes me nervous. )
Actually there's plenty of oil. I live on a hill, so the ground is actually on an incline. The bike is leaning much further to the left than it would on level ground, so all the oil is resting out of sight of the window. If I shake it up a bit you can clearly see the oil.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Got any pics that show the whole bike now?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
That looks sweet! Excellent job, well worth the $30 for the can IMHO.

Can you please provide the details of the brand and colour, as it looks a good match and ill need it for future reference :)

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got any pics that show the whole bike now?
Here you go

That looks sweet! Excellent job, well worth the $30 for the can IMHO.

Can you please provide the details of the brand and colour, as it looks a good match and ill need it for future reference :)

Dave
It's made by Performix. I used matte black. Same as this can here

·
Registered
219 Posts
Looks great. I never understood the plastidip hatred over on the CBR250 forums. I've used it to cover up the "chrome" front grille surround and gas cap on my old MINI Cooper and it looked just fine and held up better than I expected. After a couple of years there were only a handful of tiny chips on the front grille, and fixing that was as easy as just giving the affected spot a quick touch-up shot. ****, I have friends that plastidipped the wheels on their cars and it still looks awesome even after a winter or two.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks great. I never understood the plastidip hatred over on the CBR250 forums. I've used it to cover up the "chrome" front grille surround and gas cap on my old MINI Cooper and it looked just fine and held up better than I expected. After a couple of years there were only a handful of tiny chips on the front grille, and fixing that was as easy as just giving the affected spot a quick touch-up shot. ****, I have friends that plastidipped the wheels on their cars and it still looks awesome even after a winter or two.
I think it has something to do with Dudeman plastidipping EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Reactions: Mikethebear

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm considering doing the rear sets too. Hassle is I know it's going to rub off pretty quickly. Would look nice though.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Looks great.
Interesting effect is that the rear footrests are almost invisible. It's like taking them off but still having them on just in case. Magic.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts