Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year?

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Jamco 
#1 ·

Dear MOby,

I just saw your answer regards oil change. My manual says that I need to change oil every 3000 miles. But I only ride about 1000 miles per year (very short commute). By the book, I need to perform oil change every three years. Do I really need to change oil every year? Is it okay to change oil every three years, just because I don’t ride that much?

Thank you
Jay

PS: Just to make myself comfortable, I do oil change once a year.
Read more about Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year? at Motorcycle.com.

See less See more
#3 ·
I think that the annual requirement is based on the assumption that the bike will be stored in winter.
Since I ride all year long (a couple of 2 weeks with no riding), I tend to go longer than a year but less that 2 yrs, when aiming for 3k miles between oil changes.

Ride safely,

#4 ·
If anytime I'm going on a long trip 500miles/ 1000mile or longer round trip I change oil check coolant even if it's hasn't been 3000miles. Take extra coolant,oil, chain lube & degreaser. I love my 500F & will do everything to treat it the best I Can! Hopefully if I take care of it ,It will take care of me. I definitely don't want any problems on the Road hundreds of miles from home or out in the Boonies.

#5 ·
And whenever you change your oil (minimum once a year if low mileage), always change your oil filter.

#7 ·
Oil and filter are cheap, and it's an easy job that you can do yourself. Once a year is no big deal and at the very worst it gives you peace of mind, and at best is actually going to prolong the life of your bike.

#10 ·
Are there riders out there who ride less than 12,000 km a year?

#15 ·
It's enjoyable to make sure MY Bike is being taken care of 100% . I have learned & still learning how to do what it needs even if what I choose to do might be overkill . Every week or two I'm doing something for my bike since I can ride at least 3-4 times a week. Clean it ,lube chain, check all nuts ,bolts screws ,tire pressure ,all fluid levels. Most important FULL TANK of GAS!!????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.