Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

221 - 234 of 234 Posts

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Get the HealTech Digital Gear Indicator. Pretty much plug and play. Also comes in different LED colors for your pleasure! :laugh: You can't go wrong with it! Mine has been part of the bike since.

Reactions: headshrink

·
Registered
2 Posts
13 cbr500r

Has anyone ever installed a SPEEDO DRD to dial in the speedometer when changing sprockets? My service manual shows a front and back speed sensor by the calipers, not there. Doesn't make sense anyway if it was a wheel speed sensor the speedometer wouldn't change. I read its at the motor does anyone know the location? Thanks

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the HealTech GiPro installed previously on a CBR250R and love it. Installed today on my 2016 CBR500R. It was more difficult on the 500 to find a good mounting location, but much easier to make the electrical connections as this one is really plug and play.
Here's my mounting solution, with double sided tape on left side of indicator, mounted to right side of gage cluster.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,286 Posts
Has anyone ever installed a SPEEDO DRD to dial in the speedometer when changing sprockets? My service manual shows a front and back speed sensor by the calipers, not there. Doesn't make sense anyway if it was a wheel speed sensor the speedometer wouldn't change. I read its at the motor does anyone know the location? Thanks
those speed sense wires are specific to the abs module. Speed is calculated by gear/rpm, not a wheel sensor like on some other bikes.
If you do need to tap the speed wire. It's the pink-green wire that plugs into the combination meter.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
If anyone is looking at the $35 eBay indicators, I've tried two (from the only guy selling them on eBay) and had the same problem with both. Once the unit is plugged in, you start the bike and the unit counts down from 6-0, then starts flashing "1", then supposedly you go through your gears (bike on a rear wheel stand) when the next gear number starts to flash. When the unit is finished (in 6th gear) it's supposed to read "o" for "over", and you're done. The first unit I got would only count down from 6-0; then "L" would show for a few seconds; followed by a flashing "F". The seller immediately sent me another unit (took 11 days to get the first one, 9 days to get the second). The second unit did exactly the same thing.

Since the seller immediately shipped a second unit with no questions when I described the problem, I assume the flashing "F" indicates "Fault". I was just glad that I hadn't pulled any fairings away or routed the cable before I plugged the unit into the bike, otherwise I'd have been really bent. When the second unit was no different from the first, I gave up and asked for a refund.

I assume there's absolutely no QC on these, and there obviously isn't any testing.

Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello there, new here. I just ordered a gear indicator for my wife's 2014 CBR500R ABS and received a nylon shell and three pins soldered onto three wires: RED, WHITE, BLACK . There is no information as to which color / pin goes where on the connector, and the red ECU 4 pin under the seat has 4 totally different colored wires: BROWN, ORANGE/WHITE, BLACK/WHITE, AND GREEN. On the back of the connector, One pin is blocked ( X ), leaving three open O. So it looks like

1. O 2. O

3. X 4. O

These displays are pretty much standard, so if anyone has one installed and working, and can tell me how red, white, black line up with 1, 2, 4, I would certainly appreciate the information!

Thank you,

Jerry

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought the Healtech LED Gear Indicator last week, installed it yesterday (pretty easy). After figuring out how to calibrate it for each gear along a deserted long road, it seems to do what it is suppose to. It is handy to see what gear I am in. The only problem so far is that it doesn't seem to work too good on downshifts. The issue is that it only knows what gear to display AFTER the clutch is released, which defeats the purpose a bit for downshifts for a beginner who might accidentally shift from top gear down to first and release the clutch while still moving too quickly for first gear :/

Otherwise it is a nice addition for me anyway :)

Cheers

P.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I bought the Healtech LED Gear Indicator last week, installed it yesterday (pretty easy). After figuring out how to calibrate it for each gear along a deserted long road, it seems to do what it is suppose to. It is handy to see what gear I am in. The only problem so far is that it doesn't seem to work too good on downshifts. The issue is that it only knows what gear to display AFTER the clutch is released, which defeats the purpose a bit for downshifts for a beginner who might accidentally shift from top gear down to first and release the clutch while still moving too quickly for first gear :/

Otherwise it is a nice addition for me anyway :)

Cheers

P.
Glad it's working for you. Gear indicators are a fairly recent (by my old bones) addition to motorcycles. I rode an '83 BMW for 34 years without one. I just continued to shift up or down until it wouldn't go any farther. And with a little luck, I was able to guess which gear it was actually in. Your CB500 is a lot more advanced and a much better motorcycle than any I'm aware of from those days. Thank goodness for decent suspensions and brakes, just to mention a few. Enjoy. Hope the New Year treats you well.:serious:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just uploaded a pic of the CBR500R with the white gear indicator installed, as well as a nighttime view of the LED kit (still a work in progress).

Please enjoy (I hope).

--Chuck
Hey There....
Just wanted to reach out to say Thanks for the Awesome Pictures & information regarding the Gear Indicator from HealTech.
You Helped me Decide to go ahead & get it.
Your Choice of White Display is Perfect.
I Also picked the same.
I just ordered one myself because of Your Information.
Thanks Again.

Peace

·
Registered
561 Posts
I've shared this before (can't find where), but since this topic is interesting a new wave of riders I'll post mine again too. Although you can't really see it in the close-up picture, the bracket was just a small piece of sheet metal I snipped and bent. It's held in place by adhesive hook-&-loop strips. One could probably even use a small L bracket.

221 - 234 of 234 Posts