Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering how much of a difference the .6" extra front fork travel of the X model makes compared to the F and R versions. Does anybody have any technical information about the forks? Does the X version have softer springs, lighter weight oil with the bit of more travel? How much softer is it compared to the others?
Unfortunately here in Thailand I don't have the chance to swing a leg over the bikes or even go for a test ride.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you read the cb500x ride report thread it states that the forks are 20mm longer and suggests they are softer than the r or f models.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did read the report which states that the forks have 20mm more travel even though that doesn't equal the .6" I read elsewhere.
"The longer travel forks soak up bumps well, though there is some lift and dive under acceleration and braking." That's kind of a broad statement, indicating that the forks are softer, which I expected.
My question was if how the X compares to the R, how big the difference is - is it just a few more millimeters of travel which shouldn't make much of a difference or are there more internal changes?

·
Registered
582 Posts
You can usually try the bikes at the Big Wing places before you buy. Even though you stay on site, you should still be able to get a feel for the differences in suspension set-ups.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
Thump, i did not feel that much difference on cb500x shocks. They were taking the turns nicely. But have seen one guy was jumping over a wooden ramp with it and i see the difference there as if you do the same with cbr500, you might brake it apart.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thump, the 20mm is fork length. The 0.6 measurement is fork travel. I'm no expert, so someone correct me if I am wrong, but they seem like two different things. I would expect the extra ground clearance would require the longer forks. I also thought the rider input about lifting and diving would answer at least part of your question. Hence the reference to the thread. So sorry I ruined your day. I will go work on my mind reading skills now.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No worries, tiz, thanks for your input, no mind reading needed! :)
Guess what I want to see is a comparo of the three bikes on the road.
Just watched the MCN video about the R and F which was informative but the X wasn't out yet.
I'm an enduro fan, had a DR650SE and a XR650L years ago, also a KLR250. Here in Thailand suspension is very important for daily riding; lots of potholes, speed bumps, dirt and cracks on the road. I like to do back roads with 70 to 100 km/h and there can nasty surprises where you need the suspension to soak up the bumps or keep you going straight going through potholes. I bottomed out my CBR150R quite often, it takes the fun out of it!
I'm thinking of getting the CRF250M because of the suspension but a bit more power may be nice for doing 500 km days on the highway. Also the 500 is not much more expensive than the 250 here. But I guess the 5.5" fork travel on the CB is not enough for my taste, the CRF250L has 8.7" (the M a bit less) and that's quite the difference I need.
Next time I'm in Phuket I'll try to get a test ride at the Big Wing in Phuket town.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Yup, the F is an "adventure styled" street bike. The longer fork is accommodated by an increased rake (26.5 degrees versus 25.5 degrees for the R & F), which is what made me hope that the centerstand would work on the F (the one that appeals to me).

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yup, the F is an "adventure styled" street bike. The longer fork is accommodated by an increased rake (26.5 degrees versus 25.5 degrees for the R & F), which is what made me hope that the centerstand would work on the F (the one that appeals to me).
I followed a link to a US Honda Dealer's parts look up. It showed a center stand accessory for the f model. I've been to too many parts sites to identify that link. I've been trying to identify compatible parts between the 500's and the 700x. So far the hugger and center stand have identical part numbers.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I followed a link to a US Honda Dealer's parts look up.
Can you follow a link to see if the springs of the R/F models are the same as for the X?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was considering the CB500X because it has quite a bit more power for not so much more money, but I'm an enduro fan and I want to be able to go over bumps without blinking. Considering that the 500X has a 41mm fork with 5,5" travel (the Versys has 5,9") and the 250L has a 43mm fork with 8,7" travel makes the decision easy.
The 250M may have an inch less than the 250L and that may be perfect for the roads around here.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was considering the CB500X because it has quite a bit more power for not so much more money, but I'm an enduro fan and I want to be able to go over bumps without blinking. Considering that the 500X has a 41mm fork with 5,5" travel (the Versys has 5,9") and the 250L has a 43mm fork with 8,7" travel makes the decision easy.
The 250M may have an inch less than the 250L and that may be perfect for the roads around here.
So what's the decision, crf250m?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Can you follow a link to see if the springs of the R/F models are the same as for the X?
None of the web sites have parts lists for the x yet (As of yesterday). The UK may be first.

All of the 500's are street bikes. You are comparing apples to oranges. You just as well compare the suspension travel of the CRF250L to the CBR600RR!

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So what's the decision, crf250m?
Yes. That's all I need around here. I already pass 90% of the traffic in the city and on highways on my CBR150R here in Thailand.
Too bad we can choose only between the 20 hp of the 250cc and the 45 hp of the 471cc. I wish there was a CRF400M with a few more horses and lots of midrange power, but that would mean more weight and a higher price, so the CRF250M should do.
The little Ninja or the CBR250 are not for me. I had a XR650L and a DR650SE, those bikes are a LOT of fun; I've jumped curbs, went through ditches and was gone while the 100+ hp sports bike crowd was stuck in traffic.
I'm trying to sell my CBR150R and will get me a CRF250M as soon as somebody makes me a reasonable offer.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
None of the web sites have parts lists for the x yet (As of yesterday). The UK may be first.

All of the 500's are street bikes. You are comparing apples to oranges. You just as well compare the suspension travel of the CRF250L to the CBR600RR!
I know, the front suspension of the 500X or the Versys is nowhere near a F650GS, I was just wondering how different the R and X are. It's a fair question. I considered trading a bit of riding comfort for more power. Comparing the CRF250M supermoto to the "adventure-style" 500X is not the same as comparing the CRF250L enduro to the CBR600RR super sport bike, though. The CRF250M and the CB500X are both street bikes in my book.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts