Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, last fall I bought a 19’ 500R, rode it about 700 km’s (haven’t had the first service yet), then winterized it myself in December (put it on stands, stabilized the fuel, put the battery on a tender, cleaned and lubed the chain etc. I didn’t change the oil or get into the engine at all). As I was de-winterizing it today, I noticed there’s zero oil at all in the oil window, so I started it, let it idle for a bit, shut it off and checked again. still no oil. I inspected for leaks, and nothing. Should I be concerned? I’m planning on changing the factory oil before I take it out, but I didn’t know oil can just disappear in two months without any sign of a leak.

cheers,

nathan

·
Registered
289 Posts
Was it still on the stand(s) when you checked? Check it with with it on level ground with both tires on the ground, and it balanced upright. Change the oil when you can. Always a good idea to start fresh after getting going from winter. Avoid running it if you suspect it is really low on oil.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I agree with LTLarry. If you don't see any oil in the sight glass when the bike is vertical.. don't start and run the engine. If it had oil in it when you parked it, you see no signs of leaks or oil on the ground, the bike is straight and vertical, then the same amount of oil should be there as when you parked it. There's no place for the oil to hide.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When you started it up was the low oil light on?

I'd drain the oil that's in there and measure it. There should be between 2.5 and 2.7 litres (2.6 and 2.9 quarts).

·
Registered
123 Posts
As stated, if you don't see oil in the window, do NOT start the engine, check where the oil level really is. Oil is hydroscopic and will absorb water if left standing all winter, it is then not the best thing for lubricating an engine. As suggested I would drain the oil out that is in there and check how much oil you really had in the engine, then go and add the correct amount of new oil, verify it appears in the window and then start the engine. I suspect your engine was low on oil when you laid it up, oil does not just dissapear, it can leak out (would be evident on the ground), it doesn't evaporate at room temperature, so if it's low now, it has to have been low when you put it away. I doubt you did any harm to the engine, but I would definately change the oil before riding the bike.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Do you know what the oil level looked like before? How does it look as you tilt the bike towards you?

When I had my bike dealer serviced they always put in the minimum level of fluids. This barely shows in the window, so it would not take much loss for it to look empty when upright.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts