Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Decat = Tune?

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Associate00 
#1 ·
In the automotive world, going to a catless header is something you would want to tune for, but not need to tune for, after various posts and YouTube videos, I've been lead to the conclusion that at minimum, a reflash is due. I've ordered the Ixil decat race pipe and I already have a yoshi slip on. So with this said, do I need a tune to run this setup? If so, who do I talk to about it? Thanks in advance!
2018 cbr500ra

#3 ·
At the risk of being flamed, I was more-or-less confused on the timeframe. I saw a guy on YouTube (flame on) and he claims that he ran his cbr500r (ixil race pipe and a short 8 inch mudfler) for over a year without a pc-v or anything with no ill effects. I know it's not a good idea, but I was hoping to be able to finish this riding season out untuned and get either the pc-v or a generic reflash over the winter. I guess it really just depends how lean it goes and for how long.

My experience in car engine/ecus is that the ecu will compensate for bolt-ons, but I'm reading that motorcycles use a different metric for measuring AF and won't compensate for much fluctuation from stock

#6 ·
Yeah, the ixil header has a bung for the o2 sensor. Otherwise I'd probably have scrapped the idea all together. I think at this point, my plan if action is to find a shop that has a wideband sniffer, just some cheap insurance that it's not running lean. As it sits, i have a yoshimura slip on muffler and honestly, it may already be running lean with how finicky the fuel management is on this bike lol

#7 ·
You can do intermediate thing - decat the bike, do around 100 miles to allow the ECU to correct and then do some dyno pulls, just to check the AFR. It will be way cheaper than a full reflash (here in Spain it's around 40-50 euros) and will give you a peace of mind (as long as AFR is ok of course). At least you will be able see your situation.

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.