Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Dashboard Rattle - Help! :(

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Marmo 
#1 ·
I noticed something rattling on my 17 CBR once hitting 5000rpm, I initially thought it was the gear indicator messing with something but I disconnected it and the rattle was still there, turned out the dashboard is making that noise, I know its the dashboard because if I push it the noise goes away. has anyone had this issue? I about to take it apart which I have no idea how but that noise is a big distraction when I'm driving so I have to get it fix one way or another lol.. thanks

#3 ·
It's balance shaft notwithstanding, the 180-degree crank in the 500 is going to inject vibrations into the chassis and plastics & panels which will and do resonate and vibrate.

Find yourself some adhesive-back closed-cell foam weather stripping tape in varying thicknesses. Locate where two panels come together and stick the thinnest piece of tape strategically between them so it can't be easily seen but which keeps the bits from banging against each other.

In your case, find out if the dash is bouncing off something else (I believe it's rubber-mounted so there might be room for it to move enough to bounce off other bits) or if the vibration is integral to the dash itself (e.g. the halves of the case are rattling) and place foam where it's needed.

#6 ·
I was ready to take it apart but that looks too complicated and I manged to stick my hands and move cables behind the dashboard and its been better but I can still hear it. I'm going to do squeezed something as you mentioned, that should resolve it. thanks my friend.

#9 ·
Just today the thing i squeezed in lost its elasticity and thickness overtime and now it vibrates again. Now im using something even thicker and it works so far. but I'd definitely want to fix this permanently. Does anyone know a video where it shows how to remove the dashboard?

I also noticed the vibrations moving more to the footpegs after fixing it in the dashboard. But thats way less noisy and better than in the dashboard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.