Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding, flipping, building bikes for a long time now. But I've always loved the 400 - 500's because they're light and you can squeeze every bit of performance out of them. That said I do tend to work in an an "oh sh**" moment a couple times a week on the 500. I'd say I was being soft but the lack of unscrubbed patch on the tires indicates otherwise.

What's your experience?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do like 500cc ones, they are insurance-wise classified as non-sports bikes (usually) so lower insurance. And less twitchy than bigger bikes, but more powerful than the low-end ones.

Interesting that 30+ years ago a 500cc bike would have been considered a 'big and fast' bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's something I love about the CB500... On my F, I'm actively engaged with the gearbox, downshifting as I scrub off speed before apexing a corner, and banging back up through the gears as the little twin comes growling back out the turn. IMHO, the guys who get bored on a bike like this simply aren't riding them in the appropriate way, or on the right roads. And as I'm still a fairly new rider, I'm nowhere near the bike's limit in the twisties yet.

·
Registered
331 Posts
That's something I love about the CB500... On my F, I'm actively engaged with the gearbox, downshifting as I scrub off speed before apexing a corner, and banging back up through the gears as the little twin comes growling back out the turn. IMHO, the guys who get bored on a bike like this simply aren't riding them in the appropriate way, or on the right roads. And as I'm still a fairly new rider, I'm nowhere near the bike's limit in the twisties yet.
Well I found the limit of maximum lean by accident the other day when the foot peg hero blob scraped the tarmac.lol

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well I found the limit of maximum lean by accident the other day when the foot peg hero blob scraped the tarmac.lol
Had that happen to me once also. It’s an odd feeling to feel the peg fold up slightly under your foot. I took the feelers off and that made it a little more difficult to scrape.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Had that happen to me once also. It’s an odd feeling to feel the peg fold up slightly under your foot. I took the feelers off and that made it a little more difficult to scrape.
Funnily enough I never seemed to be able to remove all the chicken strips off the michelins like I did on dunlops, the hero blobs touching must mean the Michelin tyre profile is sharper.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Funnily enough I never seemed to be able to remove all the chicken strips off the michelins like I did on dunlops, the hero blobs touching must mean the Michelin tyre profile is sharper.
Could be. Mine were fairly small on the Dunlop’s. Surprisingly they are smaller on the gsxs and I haven’t really been trying, new bike and all. That’s probably tire profile related also as it just rolls over on its side upon request. Little heavier to swing back up and over the other way but I’ve gotten that down now also.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Could be. Mine were fairly small on the Dunlop’s. Surprisingly they are smaller on the gsxs and I haven’t really been trying, new bike and all. That’s probably tire profile related also as it just rolls over on its side upon request. Little heavier to swing back up and over the other way but I’ve gotten that down now also.
JC.. Let us know when you take off the training wheels on that white GSX... After the break-in period and all. And we want photos, too..;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been riding, flipping, building bikes for a long time now. But I've always loved the 400 - 500's because they're light and you can squeeze every bit of performance out of them. That said I do tend to work in an an "oh sh**" moment a couple times a week on the 500. I'd say I was being soft but the lack of unscrubbed patch on the tires indicates otherwise.

What's your experience?
Totally agree. Im not a big guy, 70kg 172 cm , so the 500-600 (even 250's which i raced for years ) are a great size for me.They do the job very well and economically and they go WELL enough! I ride my friends bigger bikes and they are nice but when you have to wrestle with them at low speed , its hard work. I have the 2018 CBR500R in white black and red. Love it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts