Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Custom trike build with CBR500R 2014 engine issues

6K views 49 replies 8 participants last post by  Ct motors 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Firstly I'm new to both motorcycle engines and wiring so please bear with me.

I'm working on a custom trike build and using a 2014 CBR500R engine. When buying the engine I was told it was a running engine with the starter motor still attached, I bought a wiring loom, CDI, regulator, coils, and battery for the engine as well as a new aftermarket key switch and engine start button. I worked through the wiring loom and found all the connections to the engine and everything is plugged in and connected. I have bypassed the clutch switch and the side stand switch as I don't need the side stand as its a trike and the chain isn't hooked up so not worried about starting it in gear and it running away from me.

checked all connectors, ground the loom to the frame and connected the battery, turned the key, pressed the button and nothing happened. I wanted to ask if there is something I'm missing or where a good place to start with regards to figuring out if I'm getting power to where I should be?

I haven't bought anything else such as the switched that go on the handlebars etc as I'm planning on running lights, horn, etc on a separate circuit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

See less See more
#34 ·
I'm still believing reading something along the lines that there is additional change in the wiring loom between the hiss and non-hiss bikes what should be pursued.
I haven't changed ecus between 500r models to this level, but i'm certain that when I've built my stock 600rr track bike with a non-hiss ecu, it needed an additional +12V connection to operate.
References here:

And here:

Be aware, the above is for the 600rr, so pinout is definitely different, but I believe that the logic should be the same.
I have no wiring diagram in front of me atm, but methodically comparing pinout of the hiss and non-hiss versions should get you sorted if this is the case.

#35 ·
@Oyabun and @Blackfin You guys are awesome!! This totally makes sense. I went back to where i got the wiring diagram and the person that posted it is from the US soi am assuming it is for a us loom not the UK loom i have. I am going to give a honda dealer a call tomorrow to see if they can send me the diagram for a UK bike to confirm and compare the two pin layouts for the ECU. Hopefully the fix is as simple as providing power to another pin and can get moving on the project!

#36 · (Edited)
I couldn't stop thinking about this, so went out to the shed and licked up my service manual.
My helm manual only contains no hiss wiring diagram, but I also have a Haynes manual what has Us and Europe versions.
The Ecu on the EU versions have two lines connecting to the Immo receiver Pin10 (yellow wire) and pin26 (pink).
The US ecu has pin10 not connected, but pin 26 is grounded.
So potentially not an additional +12V, but an additional ground what we're looking at.
Apart from the evap solenoid (pin8) what is not used on the pre-19 eu models but used in the states all other wiring is the same. I know that the evap valve is not blocking the engine operation as many have removed theirs with no adverse effects.
So grounding pin 26 is my best bet, if otherwise all is wired up properly.

#37 ·
Hi @Oyabun
So the diagram i have has nothing to pin10 confirming it is the US version.

So let me make sure ive got this right before i do it haha

The pink or yellow wire going into pin 26 on my current (EU) loom needs to be grounded rather than going to the Immo receiver because pin 26 on the US ECU that i am using goes to ground as they dont have an immobiliser.

If your able to, can you attach a scan/picture of the EU wiring loom?

Thanks for your help, fingers crossed this works!

#44 ·
Trikebuilder:
The unused 4 pin connector is the immobilizer sensor
Blackfin, you're checking the US version, non immo wiring diagram, it has white black on p26. But Trikebuilder uses an EU wiring harness, and want to replicate the US wiring, and the EU plug has a pink wire there.

But I was wrongly assumed, actually p26 has to be connected to switched sensor +12V. Repeat, not ground but switched 12V.

#45 ·
Trikebuilder:
The unused 4 pin connector is the immobilizer sensor
Blackfin, you're checking the US version, non immo wiring diagram, it has white black on p26. But Trikebuilder uses an EU wiring harness, and want to replicate the US wiring, and the EU plug has a pink wire there.

But I was wrongly assumed, actually p26 has to be connected to switched sensor +12V. Repeat, not ground but switched 12V.
When you say switched sensor do you mean splice into a wire that gets 12v after the key is turned?

#47 ·
@Oyabun and @Blackfin You guys are legends! I have a spark and the fuel pump has power! I havnt started the engine as it doesnt have an exhaust on yet and it will probably wake my kids haha

As im not using the harness for lights, dash, etc is there a recommended way to cut the connections out of the loom to make it smaller or is it a case of just cutting the wires?

Thanks both for your help!! id still be sat on the floor in the garage with my head in my hands if it wasnt for you guys!

#50 ·
Hi Guys. Hope one of you can assist. CBR500R 2014 kart build. AU BIKE WITH hISS ..swapped ecu with apparent north American ecu. Supplied switched power to pin 26 pink wire. Coils have power, kicks over, no power to pump (used switched power as temp) relay is not supplying power to pump. All fuses ok. Crank angle (no idea where it's located?). Injectors have power. Pink wire at ignition is not dropped to 9v as yet!!

Is it a nth American ecu?
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Cable Electrical supply Electronic device

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Coil Automotive exterior Car

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Bicycle frame Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire Bicycle fork Automotive tire

Electrical wiring Computer hardware Gas Cable Automotive tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.