Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be away from the country for 2 months, pretty sure my battery will be dead when I return. I planned to remove the battery, take it home and do the following:

1. Just leave it sitting, and use a charger to bring it back to life.

2. Connect the battery to the trickle charger/tender and just let it sit for 2 months.

Which of the above method is a better solution?

Also, is this a capable charger? Thanks for the help!

https://www.motocard.com/en/battery-chargers/oxford-oximiser_600_euro_version.aspx

·
Registered
1,300 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got a $10 one from Harbor Freight. Left it on the battery for 6 months over the winter and my bike fired right up.

I don't have a link though.

·
Registered
427 Posts
A healthy battery should not die in 2 months. Over the winter, I charge mine like once a month and it barely looses ~10-15% charge.

Between your options though, #2 is the best as you never want to let a battery die completely. This can adversely affect the lifespan and it's ability to hold a full charge.

Reactions: Grumpy Goat

·
Registered
19 Posts
battery Tender

I bought a Battery Tender and I am deployed overseas alot... I usually just leave my batteries plugged up while Im away... no issues so far doing this... if anyone thinks that this is not a good idea please let me know ...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I'll be away from the country for 2 months, pretty sure my battery will be dead when I return.
Your battery would not be dead upon your return, especially after just two months; not even close. Even my little lawn tractor battery which stayed in my tractor from last Sept to now, (was never on a charger) and for the entire winter was completely buried under an 8' snowbank, and in temperatures of minus 30C... fired right up last week. So if it can stay charged for 8 months in these harsh conditions, I don't believe you will have anything to worry about.

But for peace of mind, the $30 Battery Tender Junior by Deltran is well worth the cost.

Glen

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Honda dealers here sell the Optimate 3+ tenders OptiMate with Honda branding. Plug and forget for the winter (or while you're away).

They are available from many online sellers.

Work great, and will try to bring a battery back from a bad place.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a battery tender jr. for my car ($30 on sale at Cdn Tire), and the Honda Optimate for my bike ($40 from the dealer when I bought my bike).

Everything I've read says that car/bike batteries like to be kept fully charged. So while you may be able to leave it for two months and it'll still work, it's better for the battery if it's on a trickle charger that whole time.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Your battery will be fine after just two months. I wouldn't even remove it, but go ahead for peace of mind if you need it. If using a charger, it is actually best on these small batteries to use the one with the least amount of current to the battery that you can find... like 0.5 amps. It is my opinion that these "maintainer" of 1.5 amps and more do more harm than good, and cause premature failures down the road. Many will disagree with me I'm sure, but that is my experience along with many other rider friends' and acquaintances'. It will always come down to everyone doing what they want.

I say if anything, disconnect the negative wire, save some $, and have a nice trip.

·
Registered
143 Posts
battery charger

I also use the Honda branded one from my local Honda store. works amazing, I have a plug under the seat, not sure if that comes that way on all the bikes or not, but I didn't remove my battery this winter and it charges and checks it all. the little plug is under the rear seat tucked into the side.

Ride Safe!!:smilecolour

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you bought the charger from your dealer at the same time that you bought your bike, then your dealer installed the charger lead for you. The lead doesn't come with the bike.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
If you bought the charger from your dealer at the same time that you bought your bike, then your dealer installed the charger lead for you. The lead doesn't come with the bike.
Mine came with the QDC lead under the seat, though I didn't buy the charger from the dealership. Just depends on the dealer... some do, some don't. When I questioned the manager about this, he said that the cost is so low to have one of these put on every bike, and is handy for keeping the entire showroom floor of bikes' batteries fully charged.

Also, I have heard some people from the USA claim that theirs came with QDC leads right from the factory.

Glen

·
Registered
850 Posts
Stetwbie - mine has a lead that was not installed by the dealer. My bike was taken out of a crate a couple of days before I picked it up, and at the last moment before leaving with the bike I bought a Deltran Battery Tender Plus which is still sealed in its package on my workbench.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Both my CB500X and my ST1300 have factory installed connectors for the Honda Optimate charger, and were labeled specifically for the Optimate charger.

I purchased the charger at a later date and it also has the connector there. I'm certain that the connector is factory installed.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies guys, maybe I have a bad battery but last time I left the bike sitting for 2 weeks and I was having trouble starting it. Headlight was dimmed and horn sounded weird so I guess the battery was weak?

Anyway, I already bought a generic 12v motorcycle battery trickle charger, will just take the battery home and let it trickle charge.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Interesting. Mine definitely didn't come with the charger lead factory installed. The dealer took it out of the box and gave it to the guy who was going to uncrate and assemble my bike. Then he handed me the rest of the contents of the charger box to take home.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Removing the battery from the bike will prevent drain by the clock, ecu, etc. However, you may have the ecu re-set itself, and have to re-learn its settings. Why not just plug the trickle charger in (overnight) after you return?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Your battery will be fine after just two months. I wouldn't even remove it, but go ahead for peace of mind if you need it. If using a charger, it is actually best on these small batteries to use the one with the least amount of current to the battery that you can find... like 0.5 amps. It is my opinion that these "maintainer" of 1.5 amps and more do more harm than good, and cause premature failures down the road. Many will disagree with me I'm sure, but that is my experience along with many other rider friends' and acquaintances'. It will always come down to everyone doing what they want.

I say if anything, disconnect the negative wire, save some $, and have a nice trip.

+1,good post, and thats what I find.

Plasma1

1 - 20 of 20 Posts