Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are cruise controls legal in Aust
? (Don't want to use as a cruise control; just give me a chance to rest/stretch my R-hand now & then.)

·
Registered
69 Posts
There are mechanical throttle mounted cruise systems such as Alpha Rider.

Personally I'm weary of using cruise control or similar mechanical throttle control systems -- if my hand hurts it's better to take a break or drive shorter distances. There are always risks with such systems if something unexpected happens and on motorcycles milliseconds count.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Although I do not know Australian law. I am sure something like this would be decided by each state separately. But what I would do, other than check stat government web sites, is just to see if bikes with cruise controls are sold that way in Australia. If the manufacturers do not remove them then they must be legal for the bike to be approved for sale.

I have one of the cheap throttle locks that tightly grips the grip and rests on the brake lever. I would not rely on it as a cruise control, but it is good for the two purposes I need: if I need to readjust my right mirror and to rest my hand briefly.

As I have arthritis I also have a simple palm rest, the sort that costs a couple of pounds on eBay etc., which does help. So maybe that is also something to consider. But sometimes I need to straighten my fingers and remove pressure, so momentarily let my hand sit flat on the grip and lever without having to apply any pressure to the palm rest.

Because I am covering the brake while doing that, I should be as quick, if not quicker, to respond in an emergency than if I were just holding the grip. I would also consider it more dangerous to ride on to somewhere safe to stop while in pain, than straightening my fingers for a couple seconds to alleviate it immediately. Circumstance permitting, of course.

·
Registered
657 Posts
My favorite was on my old BMWs. They had a little screw device that put a bit of tension on the throttle and was adjustable so that one could have the throttle still go back to idle if needed or it could be tensioned so that it would pretty much hold the position that you put it at. In thousands of miles, I never had a safety issue.

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
391 Posts
My favorite was on my old BMWs. They had a little screw device that put a bit of tension on the throttle and was adjustable so that one could have the throttle still go back to idle if needed or it could be tensioned so that it would pretty much hold the position that you put it at. In thousands of miles, I never had a safety issue.
I think they used those on the old Wall of Death.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use a "Crampbuster", which is a hard, tough plastic paddle that snaps over the outer end of the twist-trip. The heel of the rider's right hand exerts pressure on the paddle and it works wonders for arthritic wrists or hands, or as a simple device to hold the throttle in position without hand strain. I have used these for over 10 years and after a while you can get very prices adjustments to your throttle position when encountering hills, curves, or just long stretches of straight roads when your hands need to relax a bit. Caution is advised when first using a Crampbuster as an inadvertent bump on the device can send the bike off like a rocket. Cost is about $10USD shipped.

Ralph

·
Registered
471 Posts
That, incidentally, is the device I was referring to as a palm rest. Often it is enough for me, but occasionally I do still need to take pressure off the hand completely. Given the cost I would definitely recommend trying one first if you think it would help. If I had to choose between that and a throttle lock it would be the winner without any doubt.

·
Registered
306 Posts

All bikes had this in years gone by, so whats happen.

Plasma1

·
Registered
11 Posts
Since the 60s I have had Yamahas, Nortons, Triumphs, an AJS, several Hondas, and a couple of Beemers (one airhead and one K75s). Only the Beemers had this feature, and like Buckeye, I never had a safety issue with this method, since it never had to be locked down to ease the wrist and would decelerate easily if intended.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I owned and rode an '83 BMW ,R80RT.. that thumb screw worked like a charm for the 34 years I rode it. (y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts