Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey There.
Just reaching out to ask if it makes any sense to my Fellowv CBR 500 Riders if im being Robbed by my insurance Company that is charging me $200 per month for me & my Brother to be insured on a Lance 170cc Scooter & a 2013 CBR 500R?
This Is Absolutely "Bare Bone" Insurance
Provided to us by The Happy People of - Progressive Insurance -

* I gotta say I think "Flo" is a Bi - achh-

·
Registered
216 Posts
Insurance rates are so difficult to compare.. Every state has different methods and standards of regulating insurance companies. You can't compare same to same coverage with rates in other states, it's impossible. But I agree, $200/month sounds high. Are you sure your Brother has a valid driver's license?? Maybe he's the culprit.. I'd blame the high cost him.. ;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
That's pretty high. I have Progressive through USAA, and what I've experienced over three different bikes was a high first year, and a 1/3rd reduction for the next several years (roughly). I think I paid ~125mo for the '14 CBR500r new, but probably around 25-35 now. It was almost exactly the same for the new '08 Ninja 250r. Same with the used '14 VFR800, maybe slightly more. The new Ninja 1000, however, was quoted at ~300 mo, which is why I went with my second choice - the Interceptor.

No claims, perfect current record, old guy, garaged, good credit, high mileage (commute), in a state with a 12mo riding season (CA).

Our auto policy (2 cars, 2 adults), however, literally doubled the moment our first teenager got her permit. When she bought her own car it only went up an additional 50.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That sounds high, I pay about 25 per month for full coverage with a multicar discount. I'm in my 30s and married. I also have 5 total vehicles insured. Check with State Farm and see what they can do for you. Short of having some major wrecks or a load of speeding tickets, I can't see why a 500 would cost so much for insurance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Insurance rates are so difficult to compare.. Every state has different methods and standards of regulating insurance companies. You can't compare same to same coverage with rates in other states, it's impossible. But I agree, $200/month sounds high. Are you sure your Brother has a valid driver's license?? Maybe he's the culprit.. I'd blame the high cost him.. ;)
1st if all :
Sorry for the Super Late reply.
Believe it or not, I had just seen Your message & the few other responses I have got.
I don't Really use e-mail or forums much at all.
I'm pretty Embarrassed.
Anyway thanks for the advice about State Farm.
I will be checkit out ASAP.

Have a . g

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have been with USAA since 1958. Had never considered any other insurer (USAA limits coverage to military members, past and present, and family members). On leaving the San Diego Area for rural Texas, the annual rate for my then-only bike, a 2016 Suzuki 650 enduro, shot up from $450 a year to over $1200. Note that my car coverage stayed about the same. I asked the USAA rep what was going on and he gave me sort of a vague answer. Then, just a year ago, I bought my new 2017 CB-500F and had to insure that. USAA directed me to another carrier as they don't want to insure motorcycles. The referral was to an insurer I'd never heard of.

Instead, I called GEICO and after taking my information (I carry VERY high coverage levels plus collision), she quoted me $370 for a year! I asked what it would cost to add the Suzuki enduro, each ridden less than 4000 miles a year. $570 for both, for what USAA would happily have charged me over $2000 for. I just renewed GEICO coverage on both bikes and again the massive coverage for both bikes was under $600/year. Now, granted I'm old--very old--and have a safe, accident free, ticket free record, but really, GEICO has done me a deal I never could have thought possible.

A rider's age, accident/citation record, bike performance etc all contribute to the rate charged. Young guys pay a bundle. Old guys pay a pittance. It's good to be old (sometimes).

Ralph

·
Registered
558 Posts
For me, insurance quotes don't mean anything outside a company's reputation for how they handle claims. There's always someone cheaper, but USAA is the only company I know of that is consistent when it comes to handling claims (across all their insurance products, obviously MCs are farmed out).

I just got an email re: the renewal of my "USAA by Progressive" MC policy, congratulating me for another 3 years of no issues and informing me my rate will be going down again. I haven't seen the new rate yet, but wife says this last year we were paying ~$50ish for the 2014 CBR500r AND 2014 VFR800. Bear in mind they also quoted $300 per MONTH on a Ninja 1000 ( NOT Ninja ZX1000), regardless of year.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm from NZ and paid $297nzd (180USD or 166. euros) for a full year and full coverage on replacement of my bike and any damages I do to others, it doesn't cover my personal gear (helm, jacket etc). I'm 38 and I've had 1 insurance claim when my trailer broke the back window of my Jeep. Sounds expensive over there tbh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts