Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Cracked Frame

Tags
crack fixable
2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  dwalker.memphis 
#1 ·
I was thinking about buying this honda CBR500 but there is two cracks under the gas tank is this repairable?
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

The price is super good kinda to good the current owner said he’s not sure how it happened.

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks like they have cracked and bent!! That will alter the steering angle and give you a strange handling bike. It is repairable but you will have to remove a lot of the bike parts and really need a shop that has a frame jig so they can correct the steering angle and then weld the frame. It’s a lot of work, I personally would look at another bike. I have never heard of these frames cracking in that area, so something odd has happened to that bike.

#3 ·
The work to repair those cracks properly could well exceed the value of the bike when you take into account the time to dismantle the bike completely to make sure there is no other damage and that the frame is true and to the correct steering angle etc. Also the work required to weld the frame will destroy the VIN plate and possibly make any future sale difficult as the VIN number is the ID of the bike.

It may be cheap but my advice would be to walk away and find another one!!

#4 ·
This bike probably has broken lower engine mountings - this is why frame cracked. Or engine mounts has striped threads and no bolts at all. In any case you definitely should check lower engine mountings but they are hiden under fairings. With broken mountings and cracked frame this bike is a firm candidate to write off. Happens when folks installs accesories on engine mounts without correct bolts and/or torqueing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.