Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Coolant Level

13K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  jdock 
#1 ·
I have a 2017 CB500F with only 1600 miles on it so far. I just happened to look at the coolant tank yesterday and it appeared to be empty. There are no signs of leaks anywhere and have never had any signs of the engine overheating. I put the bike up on a rear stand (and took this picture) to see if any coolant moved around. Does the engine have to be on for the coolant level to correctly show?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Low coolant levels seem to be a common theme with these bikes. If I may suggest ..... top it off, ride it a while, than check it again. The radiator will pull coolant from the tank if needed and it will also puke it back if you have too much.

This may start a flame war but the new honda 50/50 coolant for cars is the same for bikes. It''s half the price. (Just ask the gold wing guys)

#4 · (Edited)
It is the 3rd time for me that this happens to me as well. CBR500R 2016 model.

First time when I bought the bike (second hand used at 4500kms). It was empty. Brought it to the dealership (as it also had the water pump leak problem). They filled it up

Within the following 1000kms, empty again. Dealership claimed it must have been due to the water pump swap. They filled it up again.

In less than 500kms, it is now empty once again. Bike has now 6000kms. Haven't brought it back to the dealership just yet, but I'm pretty fed up with it.

I've noticed that when the bike is hot (is running or has been running shortly before), the jug seems to have at least a bit of coolant. However, when the bike is completely cold (checking in the morning for instance), the jug is 100% empty.

On an additional note regarding this bike's problems: This isn't directly related, but I've also noticed that when I turn the bike off I hear odd mild noises coming from the fuel tank. Sound is intermitent (every 10 seconds it sounds for 2 seconds or so) and the noise is just like that subtle sound of a far pipe of a neighbor in the middle of the night running water inside. When I open the fuel tank it seems to have some suction on it.

#9 ·
The cooling system of a bike is just like a car.
The engine and radiator should be full, as full as possible.
When the engine heats up the coolant will expand and go into the overflow tank.
When you stop, the engine will cool, the coolant will contract and suck coolant back into the engine from the overflow tank.

So first you fill radiator to the top, then fill the overflow tank to in between the marks.
Ride it and then AFTER is is fully cold check the overflow tank.
If it is down fill it some more. BUT make sure you check the radiator that it is still full to the top.
If the levels never stop dropping you have a leak.
And a leak can show up under the bike OR it can drip while riding and you'll not see any traces of where the leak is.

So yes when the engine is hot the level looks higher and then after its cold it will show a lower level.
Its the cold level you're interested in.

#10 ·
I just bought a 2017 Honda CBR500. It currently only has less than 1,500 kms on it. The coolant level is low on it at the moment. My question is should I just top up the coolant or do I have to bleed / flush the coolant first?
I'm the second owner of this bike and I'm not sure if the first owner did any of that for the past 5 years they had owned it. They sold it to me with 750 KMS on it only. Any advice / suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.