Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Coolant dripping from overflow?

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ADIOS600 
#1 ·
Hi there,

Riding home from work today, temp outside is around 31c/88F. Noticed coolant dripping from what i assume is the overflow pipe. looked like quite a worrying amount. No coolant light came on. I've had the bike 5 years from new (CBR500r 2017 model) and i don't recall this happening before. Is this normal or an indication of a problem? overpressurising possibly so maybe water pump/headgasket.

any ideas?
Thanks

#3 ·
Correct, the pipe from the reserve tank that ends behind the kickstand. Ive never had to top the coolant the entire time ive owned the bike.
I assumed it may have been because of the temperature but i thought id ask as you never know

#4 ·
If its blown out coolant, then check it from cold and see where the level is in the reserve tank , if it is well low or empty then you have to investigate further, remove rad cap and the coolant level should be near the top. . Is the radiator cap ok, ie check rubber seal and or test the cap. Did the cooling fan come on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.