Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to change the coolant on my 2014 Honda CB500F. It must be 4 years old by now and this will be my first time doing a coolant change on any type of vehicle. The Haynes manual I have stated I should use a 50/50 mix of distilled water and an ethylene glycol anti-freeze with silicate-free corrosion inhibitors. I've noticed some coolants are not recommended to be used with magnesium alloy engines, would this be the case for my Honda and would a car branded coolant also be safe to use?

I'm also planning on lubricating some of the components on the bike. The Haynes manual suggests Lithium-based multi-purpose grease for most applications, would this also be suitable to lubricate the clutch cable if I purchase it in an aerosol can? If not, what would be more suitable as the manual just says "Aerosol cable lubricant"

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm not aware of any magnesium in our engines......lots of aluminum though. Since most modern cars have lots of aluminum also, I would expect any auto anti-freeze would work.

For clutch cable lubing, I just use WD-40, as it's solvent properties flush out any gunk that has formed between the inner and outer cables. The key is to use a cable lubing tool like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0182-Cable-Luber/dp/B0012TYX9W, and spray until it starts running out of the bottom of the cable. The outer cable is teflon lined, so it really doesn't need lube, it just needs to be kept clean.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I use Preston 50:50 antifreeze. Already mixed and ready to pour in.

Checked with Prestone yesterday and they state the "Yellow bottle of 50:50 premix" is what they recommend for motorcycles.

Cheap and easy to use. Got mine at WalMart

·
Registered
47 Posts
Prestone 50/50 is $20 at the local auto store. Honda Type 2 coolant is only $15 from the local steelership. Probably one of the only things thats cheap.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I paid about $9 at Wal Mart for the Preston 50:50

But all of the prices are reasonable.

Ride safely

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well dont know where you are but that is a high price for 50/50 mix.
Here its less, AND I wait until there's a sale for about $10 or less.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Japanese manufacturers more often than not prefer non-silicate/non-borate coolants for their engines. Japanese OEM coolant or something like Zerex Asian will work fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking to change the coolant on my 2014 Honda CB500F. It must be 4 years old by now and this will be my first time doing a coolant change on any type of vehicle. The Haynes manual I have stated I should use a 50/50 mix of distilled water and an ethylene glycol anti-freeze with silicate-free corrosion inhibitors. I've noticed some coolants are not recommended to be used with magnesium alloy engines, would this be the case for my Honda and would a car branded coolant also be safe to use?

I'm also planning on lubricating some of the components on the bike. The Haynes manual suggests Lithium-based multi-purpose grease for most applications, would this also be suitable to lubricate the clutch cable if I purchase it in an aerosol can? If not, what would be more suitable as the manual just says "Aerosol cable lubricant"

Im after the steps from the Haynes manual how to change the coolant. If someone has the time to send these to me please email [email protected]

THanks very much!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts