Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As most people know the front braking system on the CBR 500 is not bad at low speeds or just for your short local riding. But when it comes to braking at speed, they are not too good, or safe. Converting to a twin-disc front end is very easy and it's done by only replacing parts . " no machining is required" The parts from a CBR650 will fit straight onto a 500. The front forks are both the same diameter "41mm" If you do want to change to a 650 front shock, you will need to change the inner dampening spring. You can also just change the bottom section of the shock. Apart from changing the front end, you will also have to change the brake master cylinder from a 500 to a 650 and the front fender. Spaces and the axle bolt have to be from a 650. After doing this conversion your brakes will pull the bike up quite well."really well ". l also found another problem with the bike, it has a light tail end. So to rectify that issue I fit the 650 rear wheel to the bike. And plus a bit of width looks better too. I will save the rear
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
modification for another post.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Admittedly, I'm a lightweight at 134#, but I find the brakes on my CB-500F to be as good as any I've ever owned. More "ample" riders may find the added weight really does render the brakes marginal in stopping power. Aftermarket pads may help correct that.
Ralph

·
Registered
2018 Suzuki GSXS-1000F
337 Posts
very interesting. Would love to see some pics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts