Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Having tested a 500r and liked it I am still undecided.
There are plenty of folks on the forum who are moving up from a 250 which seems to make perfect sense to me.

My last few bikes have been 1 ltr jobs mainly CBF100s which have been great but I do less miles now so wanted something small and fun.

The 500 is nearly perfect, it wouldn't tour as easily as the CBF and obviously felt a little underpowered in comparison, but not as much as I was expecting, and it is so light, is much cheaper, and should do about 50% more mpg.
I would be really interested in anyone who has moved down in capacity terms to a 500, and how they are getting on
Cheers
Wilco

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I owned a Cbf1000 and traded to the cbr 250 as I really didn't enjoy the CBF. I found it a very capable bike but a boring in-fun ride. The 250 supplied the fun factor since 2011. I am anticipating the 500 to be a fun agile bike. It's the big bro to the 250 and the "country cousin" of the 600rr. A package of smiles

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good post, as I am thinking of moving from my 2001 FZ1 (Fazer 1000 in the EU I believe). It is just too much bike for the street. I save my fast riding for the track on my R1 these days, so I am just looking for something small, fun and less maintenance than a 12 year old bike with carbs. I will be interested in how others moving "down" feel about the performance of the 500.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, I have had two test rides now and have to say its a great bike but I am going to pass.

It ticks a lot of boxes, it's cheap (relatively speaking), looks well made, nice design, very light, very cheap to run (fuel and insurance quotes were excellent), and top speed and straight line acceleration whilst never setting the world alight were good enough for me.

However there is one thing it could not quite do and unfortunatey for me that's the most important thing. What I enjoy most on a bike is the cornering, that's where the fun is for me, and this bike does not quite have the torque to pull away from corners. At 7000 rpm it is getting close to being OK but doesn't nail it, and I don't want to be on the gear lever all the time whilst cornering.

I am not blaming Honda, I still think it is a great bike and is built to hit the 47bhp mark, at that power level I think it awesome, but for me a full 500cc engine in the same bike would have been perfect.

Then again Honda do the CBR600F which is the next bike up I guess and having ridden that today, it is the bike I will get. It doesn't have all the advantages of the 500 mentioned above but I can point it at a corner in pretty much any gear and come out smiling.

Good luck to all those who choose the 500 I don't think you will be dissapointed.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Cheers Wilco, also thanks for the MPG info on the other thread. I'll have to get a test ride organised and try it out for acceleration from corners. I actually got rid of my CBR600F (old model though) for that very reason, it seemed like you had to be changing down two or three gears for the bends. I went for a Transalp 700 instead because it was so punchy out of the corners, plus only having 5 gears you weren't always changing up and down. I'm hoping the CB will be a cheaper, lighter more economic version of the TA but obviously not expecting the same power. From what I've been reading I might end up going back to a TA but I'll reserve judgement till I ride the CB!!

Seem to be some good deals around for the CBR600F at the moment if thats what you go for. Keep us informed!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ceebs
I fancied an original 600f given the great reviews and cheaper deals but I can't find one close by and tried a new version today with 6k on the clock for similar money to a new 500R. I think I remember reading that the new version has a bit more low end grunt than the earlier bike so perhaps they listened to you.
Anyway I pulled away from corners in a similar manner to my CBF1000 and I used to leave that in top gear all day if I was feeling lazy.
It certainly was far beyond what the 500 could do but on the other hand I am not used to twins and the higher revs needed, and the 500 has a lot of other things going for it.
Good luck on the test ride.

·
Premium Member
2,119 Posts
wilco, i ride cbr500r on a track and i found it OK for pulling out of the corners still you need to be on the correct gear for that, of course i ride it for more than 4000 km so i now where the torque is in which rpm and gear.

Frankly, i might prefer a cbr600f over a cbr500r too if i am living large in USA but in Thailand unfortunately, we do not have much options and conditions are that super to get the full potential of an inline four sport bike. it is either kawa ninja 650 or honda cbr500r or a 30.000 USD cbr1000. There is nothing in between!
Still, cbr500 has more advantages than a cbr600f for me. Cheap to buy and run, enough zip, perfect for a commute, can run on a track easily and it looks good. So, i will keep my cbr500r for long time i can see that which is a great bike for me and will get an additional inline four sport bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm glad the 500 is doing the business for you Loserlazer.
I agree that with some time getting the gears/revs right I could get more out of it, but you get lazy after having 4s and to be honest I like the fact that I can hit a corner in somewhere near the right gear and still get all the pull I need.
If I was commuting on the bike with a bit of fun thrown in, the 500 would be great, the weight, upright riding position, and cheapness to run would make it a very tempting buy. Fortunately at the moment I only need a bike for fun so the 600 becomes the better choice for me.
Hope the 500 continues to impress.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Coming from a CBR600RR the CBR500R is going to be a nice change. I don't find the smaller size a problem. It is actually easier to maneuver. Less weight. Even more comfortable. Great daily rider.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts