Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding the reach to my stock clutch lever to be very far out, it causes some difficultly at times when shifting gears. I have the clutch freeplay set to around 15-20mm as per the manual states, and i'm happy with this and where the clutch friction zone is.

I've tried fitting a cheap chinese aftermarket clutch lever with a reach adjustment. I found the lever to be alot more comfortable to use in terms of the closer reach but I did not like that the clucth friction zone would be so close to the handle bar, a very small amount of clutch lever release would cause the bike to be in the friction zone. I prefered to have the friction zone out around 1/2 or 3/4 of the travel of the lever.

Not sure if i've explained that very well but is it possible to bring the clutch lever closer but not have the friction zone kick in as soon as the clutch lever is released? Would a beter quaility adjustable lever allow for this?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Kon - No, not that I know of. Whatever compromise you come up with is probably the best you (we) can do. Rick

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
An adjustable lever for the clutch is not nearly as useful as the one for the front brake

because the clutch disengagement action requires more lever movement than the usual brake lever.

I also was able to get just 1 or 2 lever positions less than the full lever movement.

I mainly bought the adjustable clutch lever becasue I wanted black levers instead of the stock chrome ones.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I don't get it. I have the Chinese levers also, and the reach adjustment is independent of the engagement adjustment. The engagement adjustment should be the same as the stock lever, using the two knobs at the end of the cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts