Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so I’ve been looking around forums to see if anyone else has had this issue but can’t seem to find any answers. Bought my 2016 cbr500r about 3 months ago and it has been awesome but I’m having a tough time getting the clutch adjusted to my liking. I have adjusted the clutch cable slack many times but I would want the clutch to start getting friction soon after the clutch lever starts to not make contact with my ring finger and pinky but if it’s in that position, when I kick it to 1st gear there is louder clunk and it’s also hard to find neutral but if I squeeze the lever completely against the handlebar with my 4 fingers then the clunk significantly gets quieter and I can get the bike in neutral very easy. The problem is if I tighten the clutch cable then the friction zone and the biting point are way too far from my fingers and is not comfortable. Any help would be greatly appreciated hopefully I was able to explain my situation clearly!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
There are two adjusters, one at the clutch lever and one at the clutch. Make tiny adjustments until you get it where you want it. Aftermarket levers might also help.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah sorry I forgot to mention that I did switch my levers to 6 point adjustable ones. So the problem is that if I want it to feel smooth shifting when the clutch lever is disengaged touching my ring finger and pinky, then the clutch lever is too far and that’s also really uncomfortable having to reach that far for every time I need to shift. I was thinking that maybe there was something I can adjust to make the friction zone smaller but I’m guessing that’s just how the clutch is designed. Honestly haven’t tried adjusting the clutch wire from the transmission side hopefully that fixes my problem. The weather being rainy hasn’t let me try out some adjusting but I’ll report back once I test ride

·
Registered
CB500X 2017, V-Strom 650
45 Posts
As I understood you need a clutch that disengages completely with less lever motion, isn't it?
I think the problem comes clutch antijudder plate that makes the friction zone quite wide. There are 2 options here:

• Remove antijudder spring - it will make the clutch almost on/off switch (I wouldn't recommend it)
  • Install shorter clutch lever with different shape - it can help a bit. OEM lever is very uncomfortable IMHO (the most cheap option).
  • Install Magura Hymec hydraulic clutch actuator. It has slightly different lever ratio than OEM clutch actuator mechanism - it allows you to disengage the clutch with less lever motion. The most expensive option but it works fine.

And the most important thing with adjustable levers is to set correct cable freeplay first and then adjust lever position.

Regards,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay so update on it I was able to ride yesterday and fiddle with the clutch a bit. I adjusted the cable from the gear box side and it helped a LOT, although I still feel that the friction zone is too big for my liking but I can manage to pull away easier and smoother from a full stop now. I’ll definitely look into both looking for a new lever shape and also the hydraulic clutch actuator option. Thank you guys for the help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts