Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2016 CB500R that had 20 miles on it. I filled up the tank and within a mile the Check Engine Light came on. Any ideas??

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Had a car that if the gas cap wouldn't seal/wasn't tight enough it would light the check engine light.
Don't know if bikes have this check are well.
Not hard to make sure the cap is tight!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for this very complete article. I am having trouble decoding the flashes. I get TWO long flashes, and ONE short flash continuously?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Code 21 suggests and O2 sensor or wiring problem.

How did you clear the code?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your post on How to Read the MIL codes was the key. In it there is a section " How to clear the codes in the ECM". The hard part for me was locating the DLC plug. The picture in the article showed the DLC plug near a frame rail, under the seat. On my 2016 bike the DLC plug was covered in a plastic sleeve and was mounted further back in the middle. After I found it, I was able to use a small, uninsulated, paper clip as the jumper. Thanks again for that very helpful post.

Do you know of a link where I can download a factory Service Manual? I am having a hard time removing the plastic side panels, so I can install the frame sliders I got with the bike.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'd check the battery first - voltage and connections secure.
Seconded. A 4-year-old bike - even one that's been sitting on the showroom floor - might have seen its battery lose capacity over that period of time. And in my recent experience, a diminished battery will absolutely cause a Check Engine light.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts