Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Honda cbr500r and the check engine light is blinking 8 long blinks and 6 short blinks anyone know what this means?

·
Registered
635 Posts
86 is a communications error t the panel. I think normally you just just need to check the battery is okay and reset the E.C.U. to clear the error.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check your battery voltage and reset the E.C.U to clear the error, If still facing the error then you should visit the technician.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
86 is a communications error t the panel. I think normally you just just need to check the battery is okay and reset the E.C.U. to clear the error.

How do I reset the ecu

·
Registered
635 Posts
I thought that was in the thread. I believe the procedure to reset the codes is the same as explained to read them (a paper clip or piece of cable between the brown and green cables of the D.L.C. port), but whilst the bike is on you remove then, within five seconds, reconnect the paper clip. The engine light will go solid when the clip is removed, and start flashing again when it is reconnected. After it does that you can turn the bike off and remove the paperclip.

But hopefully @Blackfin or someone else can confirm that before you try it. It is not something I have ever needed to do so it is only what I have read (I assumed in that thread with the codes) so although I am pretty sure that is correct, I do not want to damage your bike!

·
Registered
157 Posts
hmm, wouldn't it be good to take it to a Honda service center and just let them do a diagnostics check and report what it is, best case just a reset is needed, worst case you find out something that needs a fix?

·
Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
1,226 Posts
@someone, it's been a while since I've dabbled but I don't recall being able to reset codes using a jumper on the diagnostic port. A scan tool may be able to do it but the easiest way for a DIYer to do it is to disconnect the battery negative cable for a minute and then reconnecting it.

@Knightryderr23, does your bike have all the Honda recalls done? I recall mine had code 86 as one of a number of symptoms that ultimately led to replacement of the starter/main relay and fuse assembly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I've experienced kind of a shock when see a Check Engine light in your car blinking or flashing.
This blinking light usually indicates a severe engine misfire allowing unburned fuel to be dumped into the exhaust system.

·
Registered
142 Posts
No in a car the light is just on solid.
On a bike the flashing gives you the code to look up to what that flashing number references.
Could be anything. You need to know the flash number.

·
Registered
134 Posts
86 is a communications error t the panel.
The blinking gives the error code.
long blinks = ten, so 8 long blinks = 80 + number of short blinks = 86.

The 2013 service manual lists several possible causes for code 86. Most require a technician but the manual says to check this first.

86 = Serial Communications Malfunction
"check the following connectors for loose or poor contact and the fuse for blown.
--front sub-wire harness 12P (Black) and 4P (Black)
--ECM 33P (Black)
--combination meter 16P (Gray)
--Clock/Turn fuse (7.5A)"
-------------------------------------------------
my notes: 12P means connector has 12 pins/terminals.
"combination meter" = instrument module with speedometer, etc.

·
Registered
2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory
1,226 Posts
Yes, I've experienced kind of a shock when see a Check Engine light in your car blinking or flashing.
This blinking light usually indicates a severe engine misfire allowing unburned fuel to be dumped into the exhaust system.
In OBD-II cars this is true. However, the on-board diagnostics on the older CB(R)500 stuff is more akin to the pre-1996 OBD-I stuff like GM's ALDL protocol; I don't think the system has the timing resolution to detect the crankshaft acceleration variations caused by misfires.

Having said that, I think the newer '21+ models that are Euro 5 compliant have misfire detection.

In the old 500s an 86 means a communication issue with the cluster; when mine did it years ago it was related to intermittent power caused by a bad starter relay assembly (which also doubles as a power distribution node for the bike from the battery...)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts