Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi
I had my chain replaced at 8500 miles also needed a new chain at 15000 miles and now my chain is looking like I need to change it again in about 1500 more miles. My 2016 CBR500R is at 17300 miles right now. So 4 chains in the first 20k? Seems like too often. What is your experience? How do I get more out of my chain? This is my first motorcycle and I ride daily. What chain did you buy after the stock chain wore out? Also, what tools do you use to adjust the chain tension? And how often?
Thank you

·
Registered
38 Posts
hi
I had my chain replaced at 8500 miles also needed a new chain at 15000 miles and now my chain is looking like I need to change it again in about 1500 more miles. My 2016 CBR500R is at 17300 miles right now. So 4 chains in the first 20k? Seems like too often. What is your experience? How do I get more out of my chain? This is my first motorcycle and I ride daily. What chain did you buy after the stock chain wore out? Also, what tools do you use to adjust the chain tension? And how often?
Thank you
The best chain I have come across is the DID XRING VX3. Get 18000 miles average on them. I have 60000 miles on my bike and have changed the sprockets once. I clean my chain and rear sprocket with paraffin in a spray bottle and a microfiber cloth every 600 miles, then give the chain a light wax spray coating. Good to periodically remove the front sprocket cover and clean inside there too.

Chain slack is important, see swing arm sticker for measurement. After fitting a new chain its a good idea to check the slack again after the first 600 miles.

Your wear is really rapid:
1.What chain are you fitting?
2.What makes you want to replace the chain? Frozen links?
3.Can you post pictures (straight on side views) of your sprockets? Worn sprockets eat chains.

See video below for chain slack adjustment, worth subscribing to Del Boy on YouTube, a fellow forum member pointed me to his channel.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
620 Posts
If your first chain went bad AND you know because it was stretched, then more than likely the sprockets were bad too. If you put on a new chain on worn sprockets, the sprockets will hasten the wear of a new chain.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I ran the original chain on my bike until around 12k miles. I've got a DID VX3 on mine now (do pay the $10 for the rivet type master link, the clip type one fell out of mine) and I've put 4k miles on it, still looks brand new.

Are you doing chain lubrication/cleaning at the right intervals? They should be lasting you a lot longer than they are.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Unfortunately, the rear chain on this model seems to be the one cheap part on an otherwise nicely turned-out bike. An early conversion to the best DID X-Ring chain made was my strategy. Fitment of a Scottoiler insured regular chain lubrication. I'm an easy rider and usually see 25,000 miles on a rear chain.

Ralph

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
270 Posts
Unfortunately, the rear chain on this model seems to be the one cheap part on an otherwise nicely turned-out bike. An early conversion to the best DID X-Ring chain made was my strategy. Fitment of a Scottoiler insured regular chain lubrication. I'm an easy rider and usually see 25,000 miles on a rear chain.

Ralph
Ralph, What type connecting link do you use when installing a new chain? The clip type or riveted ? I've heard pros and cons for both.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts