Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

Chain stretch gauge

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  MiamiNights1984 
#1 ·
Photograph White Light Blue Black

Is the limit at the start of the red line or the end of the red? Thanks.
2015 cbr500r
Original chain and sprockets, 6k miles.

See less See more
#6 ·
To check your chain wear, grab th link at the rear of the back sprocket and pull the chain away from the sprocket. I f light shows between the chain and sprocket, it's just about time.

Tip from an old British mechanic, change the front sprocket at expected 1/2 life cause it spins twice as often. Extends the remaining life of chain and rear sprocket. Also, use chain saw oil as chain lube. Its cheaper than MC chain and and formulated for the same job.

#11 ·
More than once, I've read that the OEM chain on the CB-500s is substandard, compared to the rest of the bike. I removed my OEM chain early on and replaced it with a top quality DID "Gold" chain which cost about $85 4 years ago. I changed the countershaft sprocket to a 17 (highly recommended) and added a Scottoiler. The upgraded chain now has over 12K miles on it and has had 2 slight adjustments. It shows no wear.
Ralph

#14 ·
You will have to split the chain ,either by using a chain tool or cutting with a grinder. Sprockets are dead easy you just need a torque wrench. Fiddliest bit is fitting the new chain with it's split link, ie crimping/peening the link with the chain tool and getting the gap correct. You will need some calipers to take the measurements and some confidence in the process.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.