Honda CBR 500 Riders Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I bought this bike and was cleaning the chain and noticed that there isn't any rubber in-between the links im assuming someone before me replaced it with a cheap chain because I figured the 2014 CB500F model would have X or O rings on stock chain.. Maybe im wrong but I'm looking to replace the chain. Does anyone have a recommendation?? This chain also seemed a bit loud? Do the rubber in lays make for a quieter chain noise? Thanks!

·
Registered
409 Posts
You are right, the stock chain is a D.I.D. 520VO-112 chain, their basic O-ring model. Do not buy it as an Honda O.E.M. part unless you want to pay extra just for an Honda label on the bag! There is nothing custom about the chain.

I have not used a basic chain, so I cannot speak to noise difference, but using one should be fine if you are willing to put in the extra effort required to ensure it is kept clean and lubricated.

But the stock chain has been fine for me, I managed around 45k miles across two of those before just recently installing a 520VX3, D.I.D.'s current X-ring model. Mainly because my bike is kept outside in the U.K. so I was hoping the gold plates of a G&B version may cope a little better with rust in our climate.

Too early to recommend it for this particular bike, but I had a G&B version of a VX chain on a former one and would recommend them in general.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts